• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Eggs 59 days old and not a lot of growth.

Jessica29

Crazy Alaskan
My eggs are at day 59, and they're still nice and plump and all have veins, but they don't seem to have grown much. I have had some problems during incubation about two weeks ago where the eggs may have gotten to warm. If they died in the shell would they be deflated and starting to rot by now? Does anyone of pics of their candled eggs at around this same age? These are the best pics I could get.

what's your incubation temp?

I just ran the calculations on my excel file of last year's clutches. With a range of 82-85ºF I had an average hatch time of 62.13 days. So long as you're seeing veins, I wouldn't sweat things.

They're usually around 82-84 but I know there was some spikes in temps awhile ago. That's why I'm worried.

high temps can potentially cause a few things. One of which that I've ran into is shorter incubation times, which generally results in smaller young as they've not had as much time to develop more robustly in egg.

There was a rather huge and highly informative discussion of such on a defunct private forum I use to be on. A few prominent herpetocultural names felt we incubate our native colubrids too warm. I honestly wouldn't mind trying to incubate at the 78 range and that's doable now, but I was too chicken scratch to try it this season.

This is more of a rambling reply than anything.

If the spikes were early on, I'd like to think you'll be ok. Mid to late in incubation and for prolonged periods, in my experience, tends to result in deformities; both in snakes and in lizards. Spinal kinks, unabsorbed yolks (caused by low humidity too), and in leopard geckos, eyelid deformities can occur as a result of prolonged high incubation temp spikes.

As Michelle put it though, I wouldn't worry yet.

It's was probably off and on for about 3 days. My incubator was not functioning properly and this was about two or three weeks ago. Do they look under developed? Shouldn't the egg be filled out a lot more? This is my first time trying to hatch snake eggs so maybe I'm just used to chicken eggs where they become completely dark as the chick develops.

There should be more fill to the egg than what is candled; just like what you'd see in the chicken eggs. Your thermometer could be running on the warmer side than what your temps actually are.

However, you still have veins and the egg doesn't look solid (yolk turned hard from embryo death). If your temps are accurate, I'd expect pipping in the next 3-5 days. If they've run cooler than what thermometer actually says, you might be looking at pips around the 70 day mark.

Yup....

I wouldn't fret. That first clutch can be nerve racking. I've got 2 from first time breeders, one of which laid yesterday, and I'm already pining to see what pops out.

Sadly, I think all of my WC okeetee x tessera clutch is belly up. But I got an amazing first clutch out of her last season and I'll have had her for 14 years come next month.

And you're welcome. I don't get on much anymore, but I try to help where I can when I pop in to lurk. Usually it's to harass Steve Roylance, because that's what this forum is for.

Back