• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Lily's photo thread

Hikari

I had a thread originally of her somewhere, but lord knows where it went. It's been almost a year, lol. When I got Lily she was just a 47g yearling (probably 16-18 in. long), and now she's a little over two years old and just a bit over 200g and either at or pushing 3 ft. (it's been hard for me to get an accurate measurement, lol).

Anyways, I found my better camera, so I figured it's time to take more pictures!

Some body shots...
100_3317.jpg

100_3330.jpg

100_3309.jpg

Close ups...
100_3316.jpg

100_3315.jpg

'Wat disss?'
100_3321.jpg

And some pics of her in some fake flowers...
100_3333.jpg

100_3337.jpg

Honestly though, having a snake has been so much fun! She's a great little snoot. Spoiled rotten too (even if she doesn't know it)! Her viv started off with just the bare-bones essentials, and is now absolutely covered in fake plants, lol.

100_3348.jpg

(I promise there's a snake in there somewhere)
She loves it! Unless she's in her warm hide digesting, she's usually sleeping under or peeking out from the foliage. Cleaning can be a pain, but it's worth it.

. . . Cleaning can be a pain, but it's worth it.

I was gonna ask, but you answered it! LOL! That's great! You have a great setup! Not to mention, a beautiful little sneaky one! She is one awesome snake!!

Thanx for sharing!!

I was gonna ask, but you answered it! LOL! That's great! You have a great setup! Not to mention, a beautiful little sneaky one! She is one awesome snake!!

Thanx for sharing!!

Thanks!
The worst part of cleaning is waiting for the plants to dry. :laugh: The plastic ones aren't so bad, but the fabric ones usually take a little longer. I'm lucky in that I know by cleaning day which plants have and have not been pooped on, so I really only have to scrub specific ones. Otherwise they just get sprayed with cleaner, sit for a bit, and then get rinsed and hung to dry. I clean the plants first, then the viv proper when the plants are drying.

I have this forum to thank though...I wouldn't have thought to add in so much ground cover if it wasn't for what I've learned here. Dollysmom especially was a lot of help! I was a complete newbie a year ago, with so many questions.

But yeah, thanks to everyone's help on this forum (and a lovely book suggested here), I've managed to keep screw-ups to a minimum, and Lily's doing good. Had a small issue somewhat recently of finding her the right sized feeders since I had to start feeding her the boxed Arctic Mice, but I've got that sorted out now. The local pet shop stopped selling bulk frozen (still super sad about that, it was so much cheaper! x_x), and everyone labels their sizes a bit differently. I'm considering going back to the reptile expo I got her from soon to buy bulk mice again, Although, I'll have to resist the urge to bring home another snake! I already want another one :p

. . . I'm considering going back to the reptile expo I got her from soon to buy bulk mice again, Although, I'll have to resist the urge to bring home another snake! I already want another one :p

Good luck with THAT!!

Since MY Lilly (two "L's" and a butter born) began to lay eggs that I've hatched out, it has been tempting NOT to keep any of her offspring! I have one yearling from her, a motley bloodred named Ozzy, who at one year -old topped the scales at 160 grams on July 30th! (He's a porker but that's partially my fault as I'm feeding him 21 gram mice already!! But he can suck one down so fast I doubt he even tastes it!). I was GOING to keep the only amel striped hatchling out of 22 that were successfully-hatched (the other 21 were ALL snows!) because it has a slightly kinked tail (appropriately named, "Kinky!") but alas, I have found nice homes for all from the first clutch that have survived but the six from the second clutch who have just recently hatched will be needing new homes. If my wife weren't an ophidiophobe, I MIGHY be tempted to keep some more of the hatchlings but that would entail expanding my snake-keeping space to encroach upon the OTHER rooms in the house which are now snake-free zones! Since I'm content with our current setup (I have comfortably situated 3 adults and 1 yearling in their own relatively LARGE enclosures, most at 55 gallon sizes, in my combination office/snake room), I'm not willing to decrease the quality of care I provide to my little sneaky ones that would be necessary to increase their population at the present time. But just a fair warning, if you venture into an expo, you MAY just be like I GET, sorta like a kid in a candy store!! And you know the old saying? "If you hang out in a barber shop long enough, sooner or later you're GONNA get a haircut!!!" Not saying that you shouldn't go, but I'm just sayin'.

Whatever you do, please keep us posted!! (That's like saying, "Don't do anything that I wouldn't do, but if you DO, name it AFTER me!" LOL!)

Good luck with THAT!!

LOL, IKR? Well, the big thing keeping me from adding to my collection right now is money, but the lack of space doesn't help either. Where Lily's table is is pretty much the only space I have. I custom made Lily's aquarium table with a bit of help from my dad, but it was built for just one tank with some storage space underneath in mind, not two. So on top of a new viv for a second snake, I'd have to invest in a new shelf set-up with enough room for two 40g tanks...and the bottom one would probably have to open from the front, which are even MORE expensive. x_x

Still, I'm patient, and I don't even know what kind of second corn I'd want yet, so I have time to plan and save. It'd just suck going to an expo, seeing all the snoots, and knowing I can't take one home yet. Although, I may just order mice online...I just recently found a site called Perfect Prey that has pretty reasonable shipping prices and a decent rep to boot. Almost anything's gotta be better than the oddly-shaped mice I get from the Arctic Mice boxes... x_x Seriously, what do they even DO to those mice?! I've had some look more like pancakes, or worse yet, are twisted all funny! Lily still eats them (thankfully she isn't picky), but when they look like that, I can't help but question the quality.

OMG, you found it! *bows to your thread finding skills*
And now I realized why I was having such difficultly...I hadn't even named her yet! I was searching for a "Lily" thread! LOL

Such a blast from the past though. Also, wow, her viv looked horrible back then! :O I am SO glad I got all those plants and vines.

if you go to your "Profile Page" you can access every post you have ever posted.

*facepalms* I should have guessed there'd be something like that on the forums somewhere...
Oh well...the other thread is so old, I think it'd be considered a necro at this point anyways.

Hikari ... Lily looks great! Very colorful. And you viv is amazing. I don't know if I'd have the patience to care for all those plants ... (cleaning them that is!)

Hikari ... Lily looks great! Very colorful. And you viv is amazing. I don't know if I'd have the patience to care for all those plants ... (cleaning them that is!)

Thanks! I love Lily's colors...makes me glad I picked an Okeetee!
On the subject of cleaning, it's actually not too bad! Unless she poops on the plants (which I can tell), they don't need to be deep-scrubbed. I just toss them all in the tub, spray them down with my vinegar mix, let them sit for a bit, rinse them, and hang them to dry. While they dry, I clean the rest of the viv and accessories, and by the time I'm done, the plastic plants at least are good to go back in. The fabric ones take slightly longer to dry, but they're usually back in after a few hours too. Meanwhile Lily is looking at me from her critter carrier looking slightly annoyed I'm cleaning her viv and not feeding her instead :laugh:

100_3350.jpg

Since I rearranged her hides a bit, this has become one of her new favorite spots on her cool side to peek out and spy on me from. She's so cute! I'm glad to see she's been steadily becoming less shy about being spotted in the viv. Guess the handling's been paying off.

Since she was awake and about, I took her out for a bit. I read my new book while Lily inspected it.

100_3361.jpg

She makes a decent bookmark :laugh:

To those wondering, the book is "Corn & Rat Snakes" by Philip Purser...I have to say, IMO it's not as good as the book I bought last year by Don Soderberg. A lot of the things it suggests for snake care is something I've read on this forum is either unnecessary or something to actually generally avoid. It DOES however give a nice explanation on breeding genetics and morphs in a way I can better understand, as well as some useful anatomy info. Plus, I snagged it for $4. I can't complain. I don't have any plans on breeding my snake, but it'll be nice to have a better understanding when reading threads discussing it, or understanding why a snake might go for such a high price.

Lily is chillin'...

IMAG1309.jpg

She's up there enough, I'm wondering what else I may be able to add in the viv to give her some other climbing spaces. More vines are always an option, but I see those repti-hammocks at the pet store and wonder if she'd ever use that too?

Love the picture of her in the vines. She's beautiful.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y330-U05 using Tapatalk

I really need a pair of Abbot's someday. They're just so stunning. Love the greenery. :)

Thanks! She looks amazing under an OttLite, lol. It mimics natural daylight, and while I would normally use it for crafts, it doesn't make a bad viv light either :p

And after snagging a Palmetto, you getting some Abbot's should be easy. XD

Back