• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Your Anger Amuses Me

Aozora

Blue Sky Reptiles
Zombiegirl just posted a thread about her hognose being hissy and flaily, so I thought it might be fun to have a thread about angry reptiles and how they try to scare you off (and make you laugh instead). Here are my 2 stories:

1. Mad Miss Muppet
I just fed my female anery sand boa, and she had to thoroughly kill her dead mouse. Once she had killed it, she couldn't find the head, so I reached in with my tongs and tried to move the nose around so she could find it easier.
Andouille did not approve.
She flattened out like a rug. I could see her scales straining over her ribs. She did not hiss at me, but she sure did lunge to try to scare me off. I moved out of range and she calmed down, but remained an angry pancake with an indignant muppet face for a while. I wanted to get a picture, but she was too riled up so I left her alone to eat in peace.

2. Belligerent Balloon
My geriatric iguana, Charlie, is a grouchy old man and he doesn't care who knows it. If you reach in to pet him, he has to make sure you know who's big and bad and who's the boss.
He does this by swallowing air and inflating himself until you can't close two hands around his ribcage. You can see him swallowing, because his frill bobs before he puffs it back out again. He does this *every* time you pet him, but he'll eventually calm down.
I'm still not sure how he deflates. Do iguanas burp?

Post your own amusing anecdotes!

Everytime I go to do anything with my frilled lizard, Toothless, he will flare up, hiss, tail whip, then do flying leaps out of his tree, and stand on his hand legs and continue to frighten me with his terrible hiss and giant flap of extra skin. Lmao.

ahahaha!

no stories about my placid corn, but my Mexican Milk snake can be crazy, at feeding time!!

one time I went in with the pinky (always on tongs for this fellow) he will always cock back like a loaded gun and then he strikes repeatedly at the pinky, until I make it touch the side of him and them hell actually wrap his WHOLE body around the pinky/tongs and hang there in mid air like a disco ball of of death!! its crazy, lol

he's also bitten himself 2 times while eating! and even after the mice are gone he's still all wound up and will bite anyone/anything that goes near him until he's back in his tank, I had to get a snake hook for a 23 gram hatchling!!! :laugh::laugh: he's bites don't hurt, but they sure do freak me out and I wanted to get him used to using his hook anyways, so far hes done great!

ahahaha!

no stories about my placid corn, but my Mexican Milk snake can be crazy, at feeding time!!

one time I went in with the pinky (always on tongs for this fellow) he will always cock back like a loaded gun and then he strikes repeatedly at the pinky, until I make it touch the side of him and them hell actually wrap his WHOLE body around the pinky/tongs and hang there in mid air like a disco ball of of death!! its crazy, lol

he's also bitten himself 2 times while eating! and even after the mice are gone he's still all wound up and will bite anyone/anything that goes near him until he's back in his tank, I had to get a snake hook for a 23 gram hatchling!!! :laugh::laugh: he's bites don't hurt, but they sure do freak me out and I wanted to get him used to using his hook anyways, so far hes done great!

I'd try feeding in a bin to dissociate that strike response from his home. Use your hook to move him into the bin, and do it the same way each time - tap him gently with the hook if necessary to get his attention, then move him over to the bin and feed there. When my corn is finished, I just put the whole bin back into the enclosure and let her crawl out at leisure. Might save you some feeding mistake bites when he gets big enough to hurt.

lol I guess I didn't make that obvious, but that's EXACTLY what I do with the little Guy, I can pick him up out of his tank no problem, he's a calm little Guy.. then I put him into his feeding bin, that's when he's freaks out lol! I use the hook to get him back into his home, and he calms right down as soon as he's put down. I love it! works like a charm..

sorry about the confusion in the first post! :p:eek:

I don't need the hook to get him out of the tank, he never strikes in his tank, I just pick him up and put him in it and then transfer him back with the hook. :) lol

Cleo is the most placid corn snake ever, she's never once postured as if to strike, let alone bitten me.

Anyway, once, as usual I was worried about her while she was shedding because while I don't think it takes her any longer than any other corn, I was worried at how long it had been so thought I would check on her while she was in the clear phase. She was in a 'snake cave' with the lid, so I lifted the lid up. Normally she'd react to that, however she remained still. Somehow this made me think she had died so I decided the best course of action would be to prod her with my finger. Then I heard what sounded like a pshut sound, almost like somebody hushing someone yet quicker sounding. I wondered what that was and continued to prod her until I heard it again and she moved, lol!

At least now I know what a corns hiss sounds like :).

That reminded me of another story...

3. Noisy Nirah
My little hypo lavender girl is a princess. She does not appreciate being disturbed, and she likes to bury. Once or twice, we've looked into her bin, and no corn snake.
So we go to dig her up, and as we're moving the aspen around she pops out like a jack-in-the-box with a nice loud "FEH." I about fell over laughing.

My adult Okeetee Corn bit me on the right elbow the other day when I reached in to change the water in her bowl. She held on and proceeded to wrap herself around my arm. It was a bit of a challenge to get her off since I'm right handed. Lesson learned. I still have a faint U shaped bite mark.

My watersnake goes berserk.....tears around the cage at full speed and tries to leap out of the top......my one Amazon has now decided to bite anything within range.....
Guruofchem: Feeding in the bin just means they associate going in the bin with eating...they'll learn to bite you there. Feeding in the cage in no way trains feeding response in the cage as long as you open the cage to change water, clean, handle the snake and other things. I had as many bites or more feeding in a separate box than I ever have feeding in the cage. I feed everything in the cage...mostly because what I have now are arboreal or venomous, but my cornsnake gets fed in her cage in a clear spot free of substrate and I can take her out and handle her anyway. Don't stick your hand in there at night though...which is generally when I feed. They figure out feeding time real quick!
My funniest feeding attack came from my big amel corn that I decided (unwisely) to feed out on the floor since all my feeding boxes were filled with other corns.....I offered the rat on tongs, he struck, missed and then came after me thinking I was holding out! He chased me all over the room while I fended him off with the tongs and a paper towel. I finally was able to get a hold of the rat and stuffed it in his gaping maw.....Vowed never to feed him where he wasn't contained...I didn't nickname him Orca for nothing!

Love these!! Lol...I need to try to post the video I did manage to get of Wort doing one tiny hiss...I wish I would've been prepared for the hissy fit though, that would've made a great video lol!

Back