CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corn Snake Photo Gallery (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Clementine - Lava Cinder (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147484)

hypnoctopus 12-23-2020 09:39 PM

Clementine - Lava Cinder

Introducing Clementine! Beautiful lava cinder from Carol Huddleston. She is unfortunately a live feeder, so I'm (probably) going to hold off on proper photos and handling until she's eating frozen thawed reliably. Tonight was her first feeding with me. I waited until evening, popped her in a deli cup and left her alone in a dark and quiet place for an hour. Then I heated up a pinkie nice and hot, dropped out in with her and left her alone again for half an hour. At that point, I checked on her and it was untouched. I went ahead and opened her mouth gently and placed the pinkie in her mouth head first just to see if she'd be willing to eat it on her own and thankfully, she did! I was obviously holding her at the time and I had to absolutely freeze and hardly breathe so as not to scare her. But she was a good girl and got it down without any further intervention. My gecko shed recently and I was able to grab a little piece of the shed, so if she doesn't eat on her own next feeding, I might try gecko scent.

https://i.imgur.com/Nhbq9UPh.jpg

MysticExotics 12-23-2020 11:32 PM

Beautiful! I'm sure transitioning her over will work out. :)

Bullseyeandme 01-04-2021 04:24 AM

She is gorgeous [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnakeCreations 01-04-2021 08:56 PM

She is so pretty! Congrats!

-Tonya

carol 01-16-2021 01:07 AM

Nice pics! This clutch seemed to have a real liking to ivory washed too. Hope she cooperates soon.

hypnoctopus 01-16-2021 10:55 AM

Oh, she's still being a butt unfortunately. I have tried washed once. And I've tried boiled and lizard scented. She even refused the first live I offered her, but finally took a live mouse for me a few days ago.

carol 01-16-2021 09:57 PM

Sorry about that. :( I had one other be a butt after being shipped and ivory soap washed did the trick. What a brat. Keep me posted!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

hypnoctopus 01-16-2021 11:53 PM

That's okay! Not your fault, obviously! I'm sure she'll come around eventually, I'm just impatient, haha. I keep hoping to find a mouse breeder nearby to get live pinkies from because the reptile store I go to has given me a peach fuzzy both times that I've asked for a pinkie. Thankfully you had already gotten a good amount of weight on her, so she was able to handle the one she ate, but it made me nervous.

hypnoctopus 01-17-2021 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SUCCESS!! :dancer:

Tonight was feeding night. I placed Clementine inside her toothpaste box because it's dark and cramped to help her feel secure. Thawed a pinkie in hot water, washed it with Ivory dish soap (had to make a trip to the store for that brand specifically, haha), and ever so gently wiggled it in the front end of her hide. I've watched her in the past be very interested in movement and I was hoping to replicate the movement that a live pinkie would make. It's really hard not to just harass her with it. She was acting very interested in it but eventually retreated into the back end of the box. I rinsed (and reheated) the pinkie, dried it off this time, and also brained it. Then repeated the process of really gently jiggling it and let her come to it instead of putting it right in her face. Again, she was very interested and stuck her mouth right in front of the brained area and then after a few arm-tiring minutes of making it crawl around, she opened her mouth and ate it. Such a relief! I hope next feed requires less work though!

Picture of little stinker finally working it down in her box:

MysticExotics 01-17-2021 08:44 PM

Congrats!
I'm glad she finally ate for you!