CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corn Snakes Wanted (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wanted - Normal Corns NOT het for anything (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147469)

Velocelt 12-05-2020 05:18 PM

Wanted - Normal Corns NOT het for anything

I'm interested in acquiring some NORMAL Corn Snakes for a future breeding project. Not interested in snakes that are normal in appearance but are het for any type of color or pattern morph traits. I'm strictly looking for wild-type Corns or possibly Corns from specific geographic localities (except for Okeetee - already have a pair). Judging by most availability lists I want something that's pretty rare on many breeder's lists/projects. However, I thought I'd ask and see if anyone actually kept any pairs of normal Corns, possibly for the occasional out-crossing to improve vigor.

hypnoctopus 12-05-2020 05:32 PM

I see them occasionally pop up on faunaclassifieds.com. Here's one ad that: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=742897

Velocelt 12-05-2020 05:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I should've specified I was interested in captive-bred only. I realize that severely limits selection since it would seem almost no one who breeds Corn Snakes actually keeps and breeds for normal/wild-type. It's almost impossible these days to find anyone selling normals. I've purchased wild-caught like those on the Fauna ad twice in the past. Once was from a reptile show and the second time was from an online ad/seller. In both instances the snakes all had health issues and died or required euthanasia. I was a professional zookeeper for 15 years and I've kept herps for 40 years so I know my husbandry wasn't in question nor did I have any pathogens present in my own collection. I got burned by buying wild-caught that in both cases either had cryptosporidium in a couple cases or "mystery viral pathogen." Wild-caught may be the only way I can acquire the breeding project I want to start, but until I exhaust the possibility of *someone* breeding normals I'm not even considering wild-caught. Thanks again for the suggestion though.

hypnoctopus 12-05-2020 08:01 PM

Oh dang, sorry to hear you haven't had any luck with wild caught. I've only ever owned captive bred, so I didn't realize wild ones were such a gamble. Maybe try contacting the user bushsnake. He works with some nice localities that are captive bred.

bushsnake 12-07-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velocelt (Post 1741949)
Thanks for the reply, but I should've specified I was interested in captive-bred only. I realize that severely limits selection since it would seem almost no one who breeds Corn Snakes actually keeps and breeds for normal/wild-type. It's almost impossible these days to find anyone selling normals. I've purchased wild-caught like those on the Fauna ad twice in the past. Once was from a reptile show and the second time was from an online ad/seller. In both instances the snakes all had health issues and died or required euthanasia. I was a professional zookeeper for 15 years and I've kept herps for 40 years so I know my husbandry wasn't in question nor did I have any pathogens present in my own collection. I got burned by buying wild-caught that in both cases either had cryptosporidium in a couple cases or "mystery viral pathogen." Wild-caught may be the only way I can acquire the breeding project I want to start, but until I exhaust the possibility of *someone* breeding normals I'm not even considering wild-caught. Thanks again for the suggestion though.

Seems like locality corns are making a comeback as im seeing them more often. I see your in chicago. Im in nothern illinois and also into locality corns but im just starting to go down that road. Maybe i can help you find something.

SnakeSmithS 01-15-2021 10:25 AM

Hi, There are several cbb normal corns with no hets listed on MorphMarket currently. Of course there is a possibility that they are simply visually normal and that the sellers are unaware of potential hets, but it might be worth inquiring. Just thought I'd send you a heads-up. Best of luck with your project :)

Warshi 12-27-2023 09:09 PM

I have 6 baby corns that will be 4 months old in Janauary2024. The father is a Butter Corn and the Mother is a Bloodred Corn.