CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   LOST HATCHLING....... oh my god! (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7626)

KristyS 08-15-2003 12:06 PM

LOST HATCHLING....... oh my god!

I feel absolutely terrible. I woke up to find my little guy gone! He was in the feeding box for the night and I guess I drilled one of the holes to big and now all because of me he's gone. The last time I seen him was 10 30 last night and now its 10 30 in the morning. I have two cats and a dog and I'm really upset. I was waiting for a hatchling for over a year and now he's gone just like that.....
Sorry I'm rambling but I feel horrible and don't know what to do. I closed my door just in case if he's still in my room and put flour all around the baseboards.:( I loved him and I hope he's going to be ok. He was the sweetest little guy, never bit or anything.

Thanks,
Kristy:(

Hope he's ok...

gardenmum 08-15-2003 12:55 PM

KristyS

I am so sorry to hear you lost your little guy. More than likely he is still in your room, holed up in a nice 'cozy' spot. Carefully check in small dark places, like your shoes, small open containers or boxes - especially if a box has a lot of 'stuff' in it, they like to curl up under the stuff. It may be small, but it may be possible for it to climb up into a dresser drawer from the back. Look under your bed, dresser, etc. But I have found, if one does get loose, it doesn't usually travel too far that first night and is somewhere in the room under something dark and warm area. Although it is possible for one of your pets to find the snake, I have had a couple of loose ones and also own 4 cats and 3 dogs and have not had them harm them.

The best thing to do is to do a methodical search of the room it got loose in. The floor is excellent and will let you know if the little one is moving around. Also you can provide a cardboard box with a hole in it and a dish of water and something to hide under in it. Put the box in an out of the way spot against the wall and preferably a warm area. They tend to stay close to the walls when moving around. If it is out looking around and is thirsty it may go in and stay in if it finds a comfy place to hide.

Good luck with finding him. I hope all works out well.

Oh... and it may be easier and it makes smaller consistent holes if you use a small soldering iron and they only cost about $5. You can melt quick easy small holes with it and even the littleist baby can't get out. Just a thought for after you find him.

KristyS 08-15-2003 04:43 PM

Thanks!

Thank you so much for all the kind words and advice! And I found him!! I was soo thrilled to see his little body squished behind a chest in my brothers room! I probably would have never have thought he would even be able to fit in such a tight spot.

All is well now.... just have to get the little houdini to eat now:mad:

I thought for sure he was going to be a gonner with all of my other animals in the house:rolleyes: guess not!

Kristy:D

CAV 08-15-2003 05:01 PM

Soldering irons are certainly quick (but smelly :eek: ), but can make it hard to get consistently sized vent holes. Personally, I use a 1/8" drill bit. Always the same, and never big enough to squeeze through. ;)

gardenmum 08-15-2003 06:00 PM

KristyS

I am very glad to hear you found your little one. It sure gets the blood pressure going when you find one has managed an escape.
Congratulations!

Cav,
Yea, I agree with it being a bit smelly but I prefer that to having plastic shaving dust all over to clean up. :) It just seems easier for me, I gues it is a matter of preference, whatever works best.... is best.;)