CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discussions about this site (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Come back, people! (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144733)

insomniac101 02-08-2017 12:35 AM

Come back, people!

Just wanted to vent a little! I've noticed a drastic decline in people posting here. I guess everyone has migrated to Farcebook. :(

I do have a Farcebook account, but don't like the site, and rarely post. I only joined to keep up with news from my nieces and nephews, and their kids. I liked coming here, back in the days when so many people were actively posting.

Oh well, things do change, but not always for the better.

Kathy

Nanci 02-08-2017 06:09 AM

I'm still here...

Facebook- I can't even. Posts get buried. There are so many "know it alls" and no one to rein them in. Some "expert" was trying to tell me my peppermint tessera was a snow, and couldn't comprehend that there was no way Carol could have "misidentified" cinder genes.

Whatever. Make Cornsnakes Great Again!!

Glenaerie 02-08-2017 06:46 AM

Message boards like this are so much better than Facebook for what most of us need it for... thoughtful and friendly discussion, and searchable history, etc. that allows us to be better caretakers of our animals. Facebook is only good for "look at this" posts that will only reach a few people who happen to see it before it scrolls away.

This site was booming for years, followed by a bust during the economic downturn of 2008 when so many of the industry innovators and stalwarts, including Rich Z., our site owner, retired from the profession and stopped actively breeding and participating.

We still have wonderful people here, but it's certainly quiet. I don't think FB is the culprit, since it's basically useless for asking and answering questions, or having a meaningful conversation.

Dragonling 02-08-2017 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanci (Post 1722962)
Facebook- I can't even. Posts get buried. There are so many "know it alls" and no one to rein them in. Some "expert" was trying to tell me my peppermint tessera was a snow, and couldn't comprehend that there was no way Carol could have "misidentified" cinder genes.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I audibly sighed at that conversation multiple times. :nope: I have some stories I would share about certain vocal people, but I'm not in the market for making enemies just yet.

Anyway, I certainly make my share of foot-in-mouth posts on FB so maybe I'm a little glad they get buried in the rubble. :laugh: :face_palm_02:

Jessicat 02-08-2017 11:59 AM

Kathy,

I haven't been the most active in the past... 6 or 7 years, so I can't really talk, but I get you! It used to be a morning ritual to sit at my computer with a nice cup of coffee and brows the forums. I loved Saturday because I could read for HOURS!

Loved the community here! It's hard for me to completely switch to FB as well. Also it's very nice to see people here from long ago even though I'm guilty of ghosting myself.

Anyway just wanted to say hi!

Rich Z 02-08-2017 12:51 PM

Well the fate of this site is in your hands. Literally....

Dragonling 02-08-2017 01:38 PM

I've been trying to encouraging folks to use this forum over FB. I keep forgetting you have to be logged in to see most posts though, so I'll link a post and no one sees it because they can't be bothered to make an account. :rolleyes: I've thought about cross posting some of my stuff to other forums but most are so ridiculously dead or poorly organized it's like why bother? I'm extremely pissed that the "other" forum even existed considering everything that was posted there that WASN'T posted here is now gone forever. Ugh!

snakewispera snr 02-08-2017 02:14 PM

It's like it across the board, I'm afraid.
I've been doing a tour of lots of sites I've used. Most if not all seem to be in decline.
And some no longer exist.

Rich Z 02-08-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonling (Post 1722982)
I keep forgetting you have to be logged in to see most posts though....

Hmm, I forgot about that myself. I sometimes will shut down viewing of thread content on my forum sites in an effort to shake loose Chinese web spiders that seem to latch on and never let go unless you shake them off. And I just forgot to change that back here. :face_palm_02:

In any event, it has not been changed back, so non-registered viewers can now view the content of threads. Other functions (such as viewing images and searching) are still disabled, since that imposes an unnecessary burden on the server that I feel I can do without.

Twolunger 02-09-2017 12:09 AM

I have to admit my reason for joining the forum was purely to find out who was raising the color morphs I'm interested in breeding. After searching through many posts it became obvious that long term friendships have developed through the forum. It's refreshing to be able to share our triumphs and even disasters with those who know about, and care about Corn snakes. Thanks Rich Z.

DollysMom 02-09-2017 10:51 AM

I'm still here. My input has dropped off a bit lately, but I'm not going anywhere. I'm also re-upping when my "Contributor" comes due. Keeping this site alive is well worth the effort.

Patmart 02-09-2017 11:57 AM

I find this site really helpful so I would like to say a big thank you
I am a 61 years Young new corn snake owner
I will use it a lot
So can I say hi to you all
Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wallawalla 02-09-2017 12:08 PM

I'm always lurking In this site from my app :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patmart 02-09-2017 01:07 PM

Please keep this site going
I thought about going to Facebook but no
If I need to get some advice this is the site for so I can look after my 4 months old amel corn snake

Patmart 02-09-2017 02:09 PM

While you are on what age should I put my 4 months old corn go in his big viv
He/she is about 27g and 21 inches long
Can anyone help

snakewispera snr 02-09-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patmart (Post 1723019)
While you are on what age should I put my 4 months old corn go in his big viv
He/she is about 27g and 21 inches long
Can anyone help

The trick is to use lots of hides and cover.
As long as it thinks its hidden from predators, everything will be fine.

Patmart 02-09-2017 03:18 PM

Ok thank you

insomniac101 02-09-2017 07:56 PM

Well, I'm glad some people are still hanging out here. Even if just lurking, something brings them back.

I've seen so many people move to Farcebook, and I don't get the appeal. I have little interest for it to begin with, and the few posts I may actually want to see, are buried under all the "look what I had for lunch" posts.

I certainly hope there is enough interest to keep the site up. I just renewed my contribution, so I'm here for another year. I hope others feel the same! :welcome_back_01:

Kathy

Patmart 02-10-2017 06:31 AM

Myself I think go to the place where people know what they are talking about and get the right advice
That's right here
Pat

Dragonling 02-10-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 1722988)
Hmm, I forgot about that myself. I sometimes will shut down viewing of thread content on my forum sites in an effort to shake loose Chinese web spiders that seem to latch on and never let go unless you shake them off. And I just forgot to change that back here. :face_palm_02:

In any event, it has not been changed back, so non-registered viewers can now view the content of threads. Other functions (such as viewing images and searching) are still disabled, since that imposes an unnecessary burden on the server that I feel I can do without.

Many of the old old photos are gone anyway, having been hosted on tinypic, photobucket, and other such unreliable hosts. It's understandable with how many hits this forum likely gets while visible to keep images member-only. There's plenty of text goodies to be found in the rich history of this board. The pictures are just icing on the cake, and if people REALLY want to see them they'll take 2 seconds to sign up.

Rich Z 02-10-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 1722988)

That SHOULD read "it has NOW been changed back"....

:-poke:

Dragonling 02-10-2017 02:05 PM

I got what you meant. ;)

Rich Z 02-11-2017 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonling (Post 1722982)
I'm extremely pissed that the "other" forum even existed considering everything that was posted there that WASN'T posted here is now gone forever. Ugh!

The above quote kind of has been coming to mind lately, I guess what you are telling me is that you will be pissed at me too if I have to let this site go because everyone abandoned it. Quite frankly, that other site most certainly faced what this site is facing now, which is simply a lack of participation from the membership. So they were expected to just keep the site running, regardless of the fact that people had just stopped using it? What were their alternatives?

And in like vein, what do you all expect from me considering the projected future of this site? Take a look at the stats page I will attach below showing the statistics for posts made per month from January, 2010 thru January, 2017. The PEAK for this site was actually between 2009 and 2010, by the way. But if you were in my shoes what would you predict the situation will be like here 5 years from today? And what would YOU do about it?

insomniac101 02-11-2017 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 1723083)
Take a look at the stats page . . . .

:cry::cry:

Well, I guess it is in our hands, as you said earlier. Time will tell, I suppose.

Kathy

DollysMom 02-12-2017 09:21 AM

Hey Rich, I would hate to see it go, but I respect the position you are in.

If and when you decide to shut it down, just please give folks some warning so they can save/print some of the stickies and their progression threads, etc.

lazarin 02-12-2017 09:31 AM

I'll second that, I'm just a new member but this place is an awesome resource and I'd be sad to see it go as well. Guess I oughta step up and post some more pics of my kiddo. 🐍

Dragonling 02-12-2017 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Z (Post 1723083)
The above quote kind of has been coming to mind lately, I guess what you are telling me is that you will be pissed at me too if I have to let this site go because everyone abandoned it. Quite frankly, that other site most certainly faced what this site is facing now, which is simply a lack of participation from the membership. So they were expected to just keep the site running, regardless of the fact that people had just stopped using it? What were their alternatives?

And in like vein, what do you all expect from me considering the projected future of this site? Take a look at the stats page I will attach below showing the statistics for posts made per month from January, 2010 thru January, 2017. The PEAK for this site was actually between 2009 and 2010, by the way. But if you were in my shoes what would you predict the situation will be like here 5 years from today? And what would YOU do about it?

I can't say I know much about BB, but surely there must be some way to transfer an archive of the forums. I would happily host a searchable archive to preserve the history recorded here. Obviously some things are already lost, with the very oldest attachments having gone missing and dead links galore, but there are some things here which I doubt are recorded anywhere else. I suppose it's not wholly necessary to keep that history, but I know I've learned a lot from it.

Rich Z 03-28-2017 12:21 PM

FYI, I will be taking a look at the forums on this site and any that are unused for a substantial period of time will be eliminated to cut down on the clutter and streamline the site somewhat. Ones that are only lightly used may be merged together. On the chopping block are the HELL forum as well as the DYK section, among some others. If they are not being used, then no sense wasting space on them. Which goes for this entire site, eventually, of course.

I guess people just prefer to be assimilated by the FaceBorg. Way it goes, I guess. It is what it is.

Twolunger 03-28-2017 12:39 PM

I'd say do what you must to streamline this forum. The CS.Com guide to cultivars can be merged with the cultivars forum, the photography techniques can be merged with miscellaneous, and FAQ forum is seldom read by newbies anyway and can be merged with the general forum if there are questions that arise. The Hell forum I don't need as my wife can give me that option.

Dragonling 03-28-2017 02:46 PM

^ I agree with Twolunger's suggestions.

FireTigeris 04-13-2017 04:31 PM

The pet rat form I was on closed down for FB- I hate the facebook for forum style things
The lack of search and the willingness of people to break the rules

The new Animals selling ban on FB might drive traffic back.

Rich Z 04-13-2017 09:56 PM

First I heard of that. FB banned selling animals there? Yeah, that will come as a blow to some people, I would expect.

Rich Z 04-14-2017 01:52 AM

Yeah, seems real to me....

Quote:

Commerce Policy

Items, products or services sold on Facebook must comply with our Community Standards as well as the Commerce Policies. Sale of the following is prohibited on Facebook:
  1. Illegal, prescription or recreational drugs;
  2. Tobacco items and related paraphernalia;
  3. Unsafe supplements;
  4. Weapons, ammunition or explosives;
  5. Animals;
  6. Adult items or services;
  7. Alcohol;
  8. Adult health items;
  9. Real money gambling services;
  10. Goods, items or posts that we determine may be or are fraudulent, misleading, deceptive or offensive;
  11. Items or products with overtly sexualized positioning;
  12. Non-physical items are prohibited on Facebook Marketplace, including but not limited to services, subscriptions, digital products, or rentals.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/policies/co...c_location=ufi

I imagine this will knock the feet out from under a lot of people who have been using their FaceBook pages to sell their animals.

Nanci 04-16-2017 01:02 PM

I think so far it is just enforced on Facebook Marketplace. I wonder if they even consider snakes as animals???

MysticExotics 04-16-2017 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanci (Post 1724425)
I think so far it is just enforced on Facebook Marketplace. I wonder if they even consider snakes as animals???

I've seen rescue groups bring up the animal sale ban and are reporting all animal sales they see, primarily in relation to dogs/puppies, etc, but many have the AR mentality, and I don't expect them to leave other animal groups alone.

Rich Z 04-16-2017 09:18 PM

Well, if it were me, and my entire business revolved around selling animals on FaceBook, I think I would be pretty darn concerned about it. From what I have seen, FaceBook will yank pages without warning and without offering any recourse. Lord knows I have had to yank some pages myself from people engaging in trademark infringement over there.

Rich Z 04-29-2017 12:34 PM

I removed a couple of forums that were unused, and am still looking at a couple of others. The following are on the chopping block:

Photography Techniques and Equipment
Other Animals and Related Items Wanted

Of course, with only seven (7) posts made on this entire site in the past 24 hours, perhaps I am just trying to weatherproof the deck chairs on the Titanic. :shrugs:

DollysMom 04-29-2017 04:39 PM

I'm really sad to hear this.

For the record I've had a busy spring and haven't been on Facebook much either. This is still the best corn snake community in the world.

Reptile Lover 23 04-29-2017 05:49 PM

I know im a New guy but i like this forum, i do think facebook is a Bad idea as it takes over everythink i dont use facebook. and im 24 :)

kayjaypah 04-30-2017 09:57 PM

I'm new to this site and live it so far so I hope it doesn't die out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk