CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Testbreeding Buf x Toffee (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132250)

slangenbroed 08-13-2013 08:21 AM

Testbreeding Buf x Toffee

First testbreeding between the buf and the toffee gene. ( from me )
Auratumstriped ( Toffee-amel-striped ) x Orange het motley ( Buf-amel het motley )
6 eggs ( Both genes are dominant)
4 Orange colored motleys
2 Orange colored ( one still in the egg )
There are no visual difference in the animals, not in the motleys and not in the other animals.
All 6 are orange colored ( lucky ? )Or is someone Homo ( the parents )The Orange not possible that she is homo, the auratum could be homo becouse he is from auratumstriped x the same.

RobbiesCornField 08-13-2013 01:20 PM

"Or is someone homo" for what? Orange x Auratum would produce all animals expressing the amel gene, because both parents are homo amel. Whether or not they're Orange or Auratum is for you to decide. Pictures would be very helpful, especially to help breach the language barrier.

Nanci 08-13-2013 02:28 PM

Are the babies "just" amel? and toffee and buf were not the same, so the babies are het toffee and buff?

Or are the babies homo amel and homo toffee/buf, which are the same gene?

Nanci 08-13-2013 02:29 PM

I second Robbie's question- is someone homo _what_?

BSLMichael 08-14-2013 02:49 AM

bwahahaha Nanci asked if someone was homo!

ANYWAY! i would love to see pictures :)

slangenbroed 08-14-2013 05:46 AM

Ok
Buf is a dominant gene discoverd in 2001 in holland its a hypoerythristic gene and made a amel into orange.
Toffee is also a dominant gene discoverd in i beleef 2006-2008 in Germany and looks the same and act the same.
This discoveries are made 200 km from each other, the discossion is, if this gene is the same or not the same.
But there is never made a testbreeding between theese genes, so i get a auratumstriped ( Toffee-amel- striped)male and cross him to a Orange het motley female ( Buf-amel-het motley )Becouse this genes are dominant there must be a hetro and a homosygoot form, but they look the same you can not tell witch one is het ore homo, not until breedings are done.
Example Buf
Bn = Buf B for buf, n for wildtype, when we cross a buf to a buf , the punnet square says.

-----B--------n
B----BB------Bn
n----Bn------nn

BB is the buf in homo form
Bn is the buf in hetero form
nn is wildtype

The BB and the Bn looks the same

The Toffee gene act the same.
Now a made this first testbreeding from Buf-amel x Toffee-amel ( let the motley and stripe away )
One thing we now everything must be amel 100%
I got 6 eggs al 6 are amel that ok ,but also Buf ore Toffee becouse all the offspring is Orange .I can not see any difference between them as a wrote.
What i ment with the homo thing is. If the toffee is homosygoot TT then al the ofspring is Toffee-amel ( auratum )But where is the buf there must be buf in the game.If buf and toffee are the same then all animals look the same ( Orange ).If buf and toffee is not the same , this breeding would produce differentsie thats my opinion

Nanci 08-14-2013 05:50 AM

(I always forget about it being dominant- sorry!)

Nanci 08-14-2013 05:51 AM

(And if anyone is having trouble following this, Jan has a really god pictorial illustration of the genetics on his website).

RobbiesCornField 08-14-2013 07:58 AM

Oh! I think I get it now. My question is why didn't you breed a toffee and a buf with no extra genes? If there were any differences, that would have made them much clearer. In my opinion, buf and toffee are the same gene, but I'd also like to see a regular buf (not orange) and a regular toffee (not auratam) crossed. I think the results could be very interesting.

slangenbroed 08-14-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField (Post 1593806)
Oh! I think I get it now. My question is why didn't you breed a toffee and a buf with no extra genes? If there were any differences, that would have made them much clearer. In my opinion, buf and toffee are the same gene, but I'd also like to see a regular buf (not orange) and a regular toffee (not auratam) crossed. I think the results could be very interesting.

i agree but i haven'd a plain toffee, but there is more, look at this link http://iansvivarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8958

Susan 08-15-2013 07:07 AM

From the photos you linked and your descriptions, I would guess that unless proven otherwise, toffee and buf are the same gene. They both look and act the same with just the usual variation seen with every other mutation. Yes, a few more test breedings are in order to confirm everything and while it would be ideal to breed snakes that only carry the genes in question, you work with what you have. I know you're not a big breeder, such as Don Soderberg, who has hundreds, if not thousands, of snakes at his disposal. You probably have just the one toffee and are doing the best you can. You kept the other genes involved as similar as possible so you wouldn't have to distinguish a toffee amel from a normal buf from a toffee buf had the two genes shown a difference.

slangenbroed 08-15-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan (Post 1594026)
From the photos you linked and your descriptions, I would guess that unless proven otherwise, toffee and buf are the same gene. They both look and act the same with just the usual variation seen with every other mutation. Yes, a few more test breedings are in order to confirm everything and while it would be ideal to breed snakes that only carry the genes in question, you work with what you have. I know you're not a big breeder, such as Don Soderberg, who has hundreds, if not thousands, of snakes at his disposal. You probably have just the one toffee and are doing the best you can. You kept the other genes involved as similar as possible so you wouldn't have to distinguish a toffee amel from a normal buf from a toffee buf had the two genes shown a difference.

That's correct

NiklasTyreso 08-19-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slangenbroed (Post 1593796)
Becouse this genes are dominant there must be a hetro and a homosygoot form, but they look the same you can not tell witch one is het ore homo, not until breedings are done.
Example Buf
Bn = Buf B for buf, n for wildtype, when we cross a buf to a buf , the punnet square says.

-----B--------n
B----BB------Bn
n----Bn------nn

BB is the buf in homo form
Bn is the buf in hetero form
nn is wildtype

The BB and the Bn looks the same

The Toffee gene act the same.
Now a made this first testbreeding from Buf-amel x Toffee-amel ( let the motley and stripe away )
One thing we now everything must be amel 100%
I got 6 eggs al 6 are amel that ok ,but also Buf ore Toffee becouse all the offspring is Orange .I can not see any difference between them as a wrote.
What i ment with the homo thing is. If the toffee is homosygoot TT then al the ofspring is Toffee-amel ( auratum )But where is the buf there must be buf in the game.If buf and toffee are the same then all animals look the same ( Orange ).If buf and toffee is not the same , this breeding would produce differentsie thats my opinion

If all hatchlings look the same orange way then it is likely that buf and toffee are the same gene and that at least one of the parents are homozygote for the dominant gene.

slangenbroed 08-22-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiklasTyreso (Post 1594949)
If all hatchlings look the same orange way then it is likely that buf and toffee are the same gene and that at least one of the parents are homozygote for the dominant gene.

They all shed now and i see a little variation just as in a orange only clutch, if a make a pic you can't see the different.Maybee iff they growing up ???? Lets feed them and wait.

dave partington 08-22-2013 03:32 PM

Classic X classic = classic.
If you have two very similar looking classics
such as buf/toffee --or-- kastanie/copper
and they breed
and the results look very much all alike
does it mean they are the same thing?
why not instead breed
buf X amel
buf X lavender
buf X bloodred
AND
toffee X amel
toffee X lavender
toffee X bloodred
hold back all offspring
breed f1 sibling X sibling
and then compare how the toffee amels compare to the buf amels?
and so forth.
I do not understand what breeding 2 similar looking baseline classic morphs is supposed to prove.

slangenbroed 08-23-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave partington (Post 1595827)
and they breed
why not instead breed
buf X amel
buf X lavender
buf X bloodred
AND
toffee X amel
toffee X lavender
toffee X bloodred
hold back all offspring
breed f1 sibling X sibling
and then compare how the toffee amels compare to the buf amels?
and so forth.
I do not understand what breeding 2 similar looking baseline classic morphs is supposed to prove.

i think you mist the link in post number 10

NiklasTyreso 08-23-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiklasTyreso (Post 1594949)

Thinking it over again, what I first wrote might be wrong.

If one parent is homozygote fore a dominant (orange) trait all hachlings should show that trait.

The traits might mask each other, or they might enhange each other. You can not know.

The best testbreeding would be to breed two known heterozygote:
Het dominant Buf amel X Het dominant Toffe amel
Then you would get about 25 % without buf or toffe
50% with buf or toffe
25 % with double trait dominant het buf+ dominant het toffe (extreme orange?)
If you got 75 % orange but 25 % of them look differen orange, then it might be different genes.

If you have two different orange dominant genes and one parent is het dominant and the other is homo for the other dominant gene, then all should be orange but 50% should be double hets for two dominant genes. Then there probably would be that half of the clutch would be different in the orange than the other half.

If you get no clear proportions in the clutch, but just a gradient of natural variation, then buf and toffe is probably just the same gene.

So, calculate proportions for the outcome you should get from what you know of the parents, if they are het or homo for the dominant genes.
Let the proportions guide you.

JimGERcream 08-23-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

I totally second that!

I'd take one female buf and one female toffee (these should NOT be het caramel) and than I'd pair a normal male to them. I'd keep one or more female bufs/toffees from both clutches and pair the father again to them and than I'd compare them.

The lineage factor is hard to eliminate, but in this way you would be able to compare those two colour morphs with "nearly the same" lineage.

Really not easy to find a way to prove or disprove :awcrap:

dave partington 08-23-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimGERcream (Post 1596057)

I'd take one female buf and one female toffee (these should NOT be het caramel) and than I'd pair a normal male to them. I'd keep one or more female bufs/toffees from both clutches and pair the father again to them and than I'd compare them.

The lineage factor is hard to eliminate, but in this way you would be able to compare those two colour morphs with "nearly the same" lineage.

Really not easy to find a way to prove or disprove :awcrap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by slangenbroed (Post 1596045)
i think you mist the link in post number 10

I was thinking this over more.
When breeding to a lavender,
toffee X lavender
the lavender has no hets.
Hets often influence visual color.
so. Toffee X Lavender.
The next year, breed Buf X the exact same individual lavender.

NiklasTyreso 08-23-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

and they breed
why not instead breed

Thats easy to say now, after the breeding have been done.

Before this breeding was done nobody knew if combining buf and toffee would make some kind of superform if they would rule out each other or anything about the results.

You want to know what you are doing. That is reason enough for doing test breedings.

dave partington 08-23-2013 11:22 AM

So is the SuperForm called Buffy? :sidestep:

slangenbroed 08-24-2013 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiklasTyreso (Post 1596083)
Thats easy to say now, after the breeding have been done.

Before this breeding was done nobody knew if combining buf and toffee would make some kind of superform if they would rule out each other or anything about the results.

You want to know what you are doing. That is reason enough for doing test breedings.

You hit the nail on his head, if nobody do a testbreeding nobody nows what happens, and this was one of the breedings done.I had more breedings planned but if they don't want to breed i can't help it.There is one clutch more to come Auratumstripe x ultramelmotley only 5 eggs.
Its easy to sit back and gave comment, but i do something to clear this up, and i had planned Orange to normal / Auratum to normal the normals are sisters and even so in anery they are sisters to.And its no problem when animals are het or homo for some other colour, if both lines have the same.
I think you must look to combo's from both the buf and the toffee.How have whe disovered that charcoal was not a plain anery, that was until blizzard was born ! And about the Homo auratumstripe its e ges not a fact at this moment, only if i saw more from him, 6 out of 6 ok but murfies law.... if you now what i mean.I had in 2006 a breeding orang x orange 8 eggs 7 hatched al 7 are orange but the parrents where not homo.

slangenbroed 08-24-2013 05:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave partington (Post 1596094)
So is the SuperForm called Buffy? :sidestep:

I had several mistery's bred but none survived

slangenbroed 08-27-2013 05:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The auratumstrped is het caramel was sold as pos caramel, and the orange i used in the breed is het motley and het caramel in this clutch you now 6 eggs 4 orangemotly's and two orange.The question was is the auratum maybee hom toffee becouse of the 6 out of 6.Yesterday a clutch the Auratumstriped x ultramelmotley het caramel, 1 buttermotley, 1 golddustmotley , 1 oarangemotley and 1 orangemotley stil in the egg.So the auratumstripe is now for sure het caramel , but not homo toffee.At the time a got the auratum ,two was offered one darker and one brither , i choose the brither one. This is what the little dif is what i see in the first clutch the diffenece is, het caramel and not het caramel, nothing more . In this clutch Murphy had us only in the caramel i think.

slangenbroed 08-31-2013 05:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The hole clutch from the breeding auratumstriped het caramel x orange het motley and caramel

slangenbroed 09-05-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slangenbroed (Post 1597833)
The hole clutch from the breeding auratumstriped het caramel x orange het motley and caramel

Question to all the genetic pro
Iff one off theese 6 orange coloured animals is hom, can we still saying its not the same, and was this bred a good one then ???????:rolleyes:

The_Saiyajin 09-07-2013 06:59 AM

Even through there are may other ways to try to find out of those two genes are the same or not i think it was a good and interesting start.
I am sure those are the same for a long time now and I would also have helped with this when I just could get my hands on a Buf animal. But for now I didnt get one.

slangenbroed 09-07-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Saiyajin (Post 1599290)
Even through there are may other ways to try to find out of those two genes are the same or not i think it was a good and interesting start.
I am sure those are the same for a long time now and I would also have helped with this when I just could get my hands on a Buf animal. But for now I didnt get one.

Thanks, where do you liv i liv in holland in the south between weert en roermond.

scmartin27 03-25-2021 05:12 PM

Updates?

Sorry to resurrect this OLD thread, but does anyone have current info on Buf vs Toffee?
With the one above also having caramel that throws a wrench into things a bit.