CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   cornsnake X yellow rat snake crosses (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141853)

jp8899 09-18-2015 10:22 PM

cornsnake X yellow rat snake crosses

Is there anyone out there working with these. I have a pair of albino het albino rat snakes I may in the future try to "go there". Any thoughts or experiences with this subject? I hope I posted this in the right area. Thanks in advance.

Karl_Mcknight 09-18-2015 10:40 PM

A Corn snake is a rat snake and as I understand it, they can all cross breed. In fact a lot of the Corn Snake Morphs I've seen actually look like the Grey Rat snakes and the Yellow Rat snakes. I'm sure somebody out there has done it or is doing it, but I can't direct you. Sorry.

jp8899 09-18-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight (Post 1696187)
A Corn snake is a rat snake and as I understand it, they can all cross breed. In fact a lot of the Corn Snake Morphs I've seen actually look like the Grey Rat snakes and the Yellow Rat snakes. I'm sure somebody out there has done it or is doing it, but I can't direct you. Sorry.

I am well aware that a corn snake is indeed a red rat snake I am an experienced breeder. I do know that they can in fact be crossed. I am looking for someone with experience in the cross breeding. Thank you for your reply. I know I am new here if you check in new members area I have posted there my experience. Although I am still learning things I am definitely not a total newbie. I am trying to work with new animals. While also working with animals I am experienced with also.

Karl_Mcknight 09-18-2015 10:52 PM

well excuuuuuuse me

jp8899 09-18-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight (Post 1696191)
well excuuuuuuse me

I am definitely not trying to be harsh or rude. Sorry if it sounded that way. Was not ment to be. I was just explaining myself. Was not trying to offend you.

Karl_Mcknight 09-18-2015 10:59 PM

well you did say "...I am well aware that a corn snake is indeed a red rat snake I am an experienced breeder......"

and you also said "......I am looking for someone with experience in the cross breeding...."

Why would it be any different? They are all Rat snakes. You're an experienced breeder. Just put a Red one and a Grey one together or a Yellow one and a Grey one whatever and see what happens. They'll either mate or they won't. Right?

hypnoctopus 09-18-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight (Post 1696191)
well excuuuuuuse me

That seems really uncalled for.

As for the original question, I'm not well versed in the interspecific hybrids, but I tend to think that not a lot of people are working with them. Iansvivarium.com has a list of corn/rat hybrids if you haven't already been there.

jp8899 09-18-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight (Post 1696193)
well you did say "...I am well aware that a corn snake is indeed a red rat snake I am an experienced breeder......"

and you also said "......I am looking for someone with experience in the cross breeding...."

Why would it be any different? They are all Rat snakes. You're an experienced breeder. Just put a Red one and a Grey one together or a Yellow one and a Grey one whatever and see what happens. They'll either mate or they won't. Right?

Yes, you are correct. They will or they wont. I guess I went about this wrong. I have tried to research this subject. I have not been successfull in finding the answers I am looking for. From what I gather I will have to breed and raise up baby's and pair back to mother or father with offspring and eventually end up with tequila sunrise babies. This is a long term or "possible" project so I am looking for info from someone who has tried or has been successful with the project. Again I was not trying to offend you or anyone.

jp8899 09-18-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnoctopus (Post 1696194)

As for the original question, I'm not well versed in the interspecific hybrids, but I tend to think that not a lot of people are working with them. Iansvivarium.com has a list of corn/rat hybrids if you haven't already been there.

Thank you I will look there. I am just researching and thinking about this project.

Dragonling 09-19-2015 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp8899 (Post 1696195)
From what I gather I will have to breed and raise up baby's and pair back to mother or father with offspring and eventually end up with tequila sunrise babies.

Wait, what? I haven't followed Sean's work with tequila sunrise very well (what up with the inaccessable/nonexistent documentation in the hobby anyway? ;) ) but I didn't think they were hybrids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnoctopus (Post 1696194)

I imagine it's a reference to Arrested Development.

https://i.imgur.com/FvYNah.jpg