CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Breeding/Egg Production & Care (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   67Temp's 2023 pairings (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148070)

67temp 03-13-2023 02:41 PM

67Temp's 2023 pairings

2022 wasn't a great year for us so halfway through burmation we decided we were going to take a year off and just enjoy our animals. We had brumated planned pairs together but they are now separated. We got a surprise clutch of 15 from a first time mom. Pairing should be super masque diffused honey Miami het cinder x masque honey Miami het diffused ph cinder. I'm hoping to hold back a super masque diffused caramel shatter Miami. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...a2b4f860ef.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

crackerhead 03-14-2023 05:40 AM

Interesting. Do you always brumate planned pairs together? I've heard people doing that with some Old World Rats but I've never heard it discussed in corn snakes.
Terri

67temp 03-14-2023 07:09 AM

This was my first year trying it with corns. You just need to account for the extra water consumption. I know some others that do it or will co-brumate 3-4 females. I wouldn't do it with kings. My bairds, black house, natrix and japanese rats are co-habbed year round even in brumation.

crackerhead 03-14-2023 01:22 PM

Do you co-brumate pairs with the assumption that breeding commonly takes place during this time? I know this is the thought when breeders co-brumate things like Rhyno rat snakes.
What is the purpose of brumating females together? Space considerations? I know Crotalus and Thamnophis are commonly found in hibernaculums together. Do we find that in wild corns as well?
I love hearing about about other keepers' husbandry methods. There is always a lot to learn.
Terri

67temp 03-14-2023 02:32 PM

For me I don't typically play who's the daddy. I had pairs figured out early last year. If a pair doesn't go then they don't go. I mostly did co-brumation to save space and make it easier to do maintenance on them while they were down. I wasn't fully expecting them to breed but the sire is very experienced. With virgin females I find sometimes they will cycle or partly cycle just as they are going into brumation. I know some carpet pythons will breed while in brumation.

Caryl 04-13-2023 09:36 PM

Interesting. That's a lovely girl with your unexpected eggs. I hope you get that combo holdback you are hoping to hit.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

SnakeCreations 04-16-2023 06:38 PM

She's lovely! I can't wait to see her offspring.

Congrats!

-Tonya

67temp 04-19-2023 12:30 PM

Thank you Caryl and SnakeCreations!

So... a bunch of my girls didn't want to cooperate. I'm at just over 100 eggs for this "year off". Some laid full clutches, while others were mostly slugs but had 3-7 viable looking eggs. One of the females hasn't been near a male in over 2 years.

schnekkie 04-21-2023 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67temp (Post 1745565)
One of the females hasn't been near a male in over 2 years.

How can breeders ever be truly sure of what a pairing will deliver with snakes who have previously been bred? Seems like the females are always ready for a rainy day.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

67temp 04-21-2023 10:24 PM

Just from what I've seen newer sperm is more potent than older retained sperm. I also try to plan my pairings accordingly so that it's easy to identify who the sire is. Example: I have a snow super tessera het stripe. She was previously paired with an amel het anery motley. Those babies will be amels and snows. If she throws anerys and snows there is a different sire.

Granted there is still the chance of a dual sired clutch. You have to wonder if so many hets that don't prove out are just retained sperm.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk