CornSnakes.com Forums

CornSnakes.com Forums (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corn Snake Photo Gallery (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bramble - Sunkissed (https://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147796)

hypnoctopus 12-11-2021 02:31 PM

Bramble - Sunkissed

2 Attachment(s)
Got this little guy in a lot of non-feeders. He's eaten excellently for me since I got him, never skipped a meal. He did require lizard scent in the beginning, but transitioned off of that pretty quickly.

Caryl 01-14-2022 09:03 PM

What type of lizard scenting do you use? There is an abundance of (invasive) Mediterranean geckos where I live. I've always had pretty good luck using them for scent with stubborn babies.

hypnoctopus 01-15-2022 01:19 AM

I used both anole and our local fence lizards once I used up the anole. I think I only used anole for this guy though because he was quick to move to unscented pinkies. He's now being stubborn about moving up to the next size, but he finally took a peach fuzzy for the first time tonight.

Caryl 01-15-2022 10:07 AM

Ah, thanks. We're contemplating a move to a place without the Mediterranean house geckos. There will be other lizards, as I'm sure there will be other stubborn feeders. (I confess that I don't necessarily think of babies who want to eat lizards as "nonfeeders." In the natural world, lizards would be common prey for them.) I know there's commercial lizard scent, but haven't used it.

Kudos to you for taking on the stubborn ones!

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

hypnoctopus 01-15-2022 10:14 AM

I strongly considered buying some lizard juice because one of the babies was stuck on lizard scent for so long, but it's quite pricey. I did also try using a bit of shed from my crested gecko and there was no interest in that. The one who was stuck on lizard scented didn't seem to care which lizard (anole or fence lizard) was scenting the pinkie.

And yes, lizards are the more common prey for baby corns - it's really nice that most babies are willing to take pinkies off the bat!

Caryl 01-15-2022 10:24 AM

I was very fortunate this year. I only had one clutch in 2020, and only one baby who initially insisted on lizard scenting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypnoctopus (Post 1743818)
...it's really nice that most babies are willing to take pinkies off the bat!

Amen to that!!

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

hypnoctopus 04-12-2023 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This guy has gotten big! And so orange! Nearly adult size now and starting to develop a bit of the common sunkissed attitude. He hasn't struck at me yet, but has gotten a bit flail-y.

Caryl 05-16-2023 08:08 AM

He definitely doesn't look like a baby anymore. Looks brilliant, too. It's interesting to me that he's developing some of the infamous Sunkissed attitude. Thought they had that (or didn't) as babies. I didn't realize it could appear as they grew.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

hypnoctopus 05-16-2023 09:31 AM

Yeah I'm experiencing that with a couple of mine. My sunkissed anery was perfectly fine as a baby, but has become quite high strung lately.