View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
MysticExotics
I don't know the dollar amount that the IRS decides you need to start paying taxes, but I opted to go ahead and make mine official.

I tend to worry about people questioning stuff, and although I make sure all of my animals are legal in my city, and verified no licence needed, etc, I chose to get my business licence, set up an LLC, and I even rented a commercial office, to keep supplies at and have a commercial address for my business. **I do not have a store there, nor do I have anyone go to that location, but it gives me the option to have a wholesale account.

Part of my business is modifying 10 gallon tanks for Crested Gecko enclosures, and I plan on (hope to) sell them at local expos.

Yes, you do get to claim everything that pertains to the business. (I would double check on the actual animal purchases, but caging, food, supplies, I believe, are all things you can write off on your taxes).

Honestly, I think most people here still fall under the "hobby" aspect, and probably do not need to worry about the necessity of becoming official, myself included, but I opted to do so anyways.