Thread: Connie
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2022, 12:14 AM   #17
Rich Z
Yes, I understand what you are saying, and honestly we did have to ask for help when I was taken to the hospital in the ambulance. Connie is mostly healed from her surgery, but really shouldn't be driving much. So she did reach out for help. And we do have some friends here that have offered to do anything we need for help.

But here is the rub, that makes things different now. COVID-19. Connie and I both now have comorbidities that would make an infection rather serious. Probably deadly. Yeah, I know we are taking a chance with every visit to a doctor, oncology facility, hospital, etc., but those are inescapable realities that MUST be done. Connie has had her two sisters offer to come stay here to help out. One has recently been diagnosed with COVID, and it appears to be heavily saturated in the Delaware area when Connie's family is mostly located. Her other sister is closer, but she spends most days doing happy hour at a local bar, cuts people's hair for extra cash, and has no hesitation spending time with any of the locals. She would be a risk, to say the least.

One friend that has proven to be a godsend is the woman (Debbie) who owed the seafood market where Connie worked a couple of years part time. Connie didn't need the money, she just wanted a friend. And that family business apparently fits those shoes now. Debbie would do anything in the world for Connie and took her back and forth from the hospital while I was laid up there. But the wrinkle in all this is that Debbie and her husband at both cancer victims, and are having their own tough time with life right now. Just asking someone to put their own life on hold to help out us is like eating glass.

I don't know what the future is going to bring with Connie's continued chemo treatments. I am feeling fine now, but when I have part two of the stent insertion in 5 to 6 weeks, I know I'm going to be in the ICU at the hospital again for maybe a couple of days while they monitor for infection. We are going to try to time it such that Connie will hopefully be in a high water mark of coming out of any bad side effects from the chemo, but this is all new to us, so we don't have a clue about how to predict anything. And the way things are going, there sure could be yet another shoe or two yet to drop in our lives. And I thought 2021 was a crappy year......

And I have to be strong. No matter what. I am taking it easy right now to try to recover as quickly and completely as possible (and with the understanding I still have another artery partially blocked feeding blood to my heart), but when duty calls, I HAVE to answer. If I have to die trying to help Connie, then so be it.