View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 04:51 PM   #8
SnakeSmithS
Not to get too far off the Cinder topic here, but for what it's worth, I tend to agree with Olivia regarding Caramel being recessive. Lately, I have been noticing the degree of variation in corns labeled Caramel on MorphMarket. My eye sees at least 2 distinct "flavors" of Caramel for sale these days... ones that have brownish ground colors with essentially orange blotches (they essentially look like Buf), and then Caramels with "silvery" backgrounds and distinctly yellowish blotches. I suspect some of that variability is natural, and some is perhaps owing to Miami lines that were crossed with Caramel to lighten the background color(s), which I personally much prefer over the more orange ones.

And if by "Yellow Factor" you mean the potentially dominant mutation that supposedly originated in Joe Pierce's collection (i.e., his "Yellow Disease"), and that some of us are calling "Yellowjacket", I also agree. Although I have seen far fewer corns in total than Rich or a few others that frequent this site, I have 3 "Yellowjackets" and they do not look like any Caramel, or any other corns I've ever seen for that matter. It will be interesting to see what results if they reproduce next year