View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #29
sweet~nichole~marie
I have a question about interactions between the different genes . . .

In simple mendelian genetics you expect the dominant to overshadow the recessive traits, but when you start mixing multiple genes together that flies out the window.

an amel het anery snake (aaBb) shows the red but not the black, but looking at the genotype you would expect the gene that has a dominant allele in it to show through.

It is as if the recessive trait is "stronger" than the homozygous or heterozygous trait of another.

So, my question is (finally ) when trying to determine what your snake will look like, if you have any recessives in the mix, is that what will show?

Ex. aa Hh DD Ww BB Rr since the aa is the only trait that has 2 recessive alleles, it will be the one that shows, not matter how many other dominant alleles there are for other genes?

Thanks (in advance) for the clarification . . .I understand mendelian genetics, co-dominance, incomplete dominance, multiple alleles, polygenic traits, etc. but this doesn't seem to follow any of those patterns . . . Is there a name for the way the genetics of cornsnakes behave?