View Single Post
Old 10-15-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
Susan
More Multi-Hets

OK...now where did I leave off...Multi-hets! The size of your Punnett square will depend upon how many genes you want or need to deal with. The more hets you have to play with, the larger your square and the more your hand will hurt when you're done. And I'm afraid to say that the size can increase exponentially. For example, back to that hypolavender motley X diffuse opal pairing. Their offspring are easy to identify phenotypically and genetically. However, breed a pair of those offspring together and be prepaired for a head-ache! Each of those new parents (Aa Hy Dd ll Mm) can potentially give to their offspring the following gene combinations:
A H D l M
A H D l m
A H d l M
A H d l m
A h D l M
A h D l m
A h d l M
A h d l m
a H D l M
a H D l m
a H d l M
a H d l m
a h D l M
a h D l m
a h d l M
a h d l m

16 X 16 = 256 possible combination chances. Luckily there is some duplication going on, and the phenotype possibilities are even less...but still...

Ready to cross a diffuse Sunkissed phantom stripe with a lava caramel lavender motley...and then see what you'll get in the F2 generation? You go right ahead! I'm too tired tonight and will move on to the couple of problem genes.