View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #10
ShenziSixaxis
Putting my 2 cents in in blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeKiss247 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has bred gerbils for snake food and if they as nutritious?
Still pondering on whether to breed mice or rats for the snakes.... what about gerbils?

I have no clue about the nutrition, but I believe they're a little lower on protein and a bit fattier than mice. They also don't breed nearly as fast, need to be able to burrow, and usually pair up (1 male, 1 female), rather than one male to a bunch of females.

Saw some of those African rats at the pet store the other day.... What about breeding them?

Don't get them! They're great feeders and breeders IF you can get them to grow up AND breed, but they are NASTY unless you get a line from a specific person who has a nice line. Just skip these... your fingers will thank you.

If you CAN get a nice line, expect large litters and low odor. They have an odor, but it's not a stink.

If I decide to build a snake rack, I will have lots of aquariums to use for breeding food for my babies... I have three snakes right now, two Corns- one adult and one baby, plus a baby Ball Python. It's not bad now as I purchase the snake food at the store where I work and I get a discount. Not much, but it helps.

Aquariums will work for mice and ASF rats, but not gerbils (I think), and not rats unless it's a big one.

What all do you feed your rats and mice? Wouldn't it be that the better the food, the better food your mice or rat will be for your snakes?

I posted this in the other thread you made.

How long does it take for a mouse or rat to grow to be the proper size to feed an adult Corn or BP?

Not sure about mice, but rats take about 2 months to get to small size, or smaller medium size (males are bigger than females), and three or so months to get to medium or smaller large size, but you shouldn't need to feed a BP large rats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
The Bean Farm bag is 50lbs, so it would last you a long time.
Now tell me just how costly it is to ship something 50 pounds...