View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
paulh
Suggestions:

1. Move the definition of wild type above the definition of dominant.

2. Add the definition of "mutant gene" below the definition of "wild type".
Q. what is a 'mutant gene'?
A. A mutant gene is a gene with a DNA sequence that has been changed from the DNA sequence of the wild-type version of the gene. The changed DNA sequence often produces a change from the wild type phenotype.

3. Add this to end of the definition of wild type: "The standard against which a mutant gene is compared to determine whether the mutant is dominant, recessive, or codominant." This will allow deletion of the footnote below the definition of codominant.

4. Q: What is meant by a mutant gene being dominant?
A: A mutant gene that is expressed phenotypically in both heterozygous and homozygous individuals. The phenotype is the same in heterozygous and homozygous individuals.

Q: What is meant by a mutant gene being recessive?
A: A mutant gene that is phenotypically expressed only when in the homozygous state. When paired with a wild-type gene, the phenotype is the same as the wild-type phenotype.

Q: What is meant by a mutant gene being codominant?
A: A mutant gene that is expressed phenotypically in both heterozygous and homozygous individuals. The phenotype is not the same in heterozygous and homozygous individuals because both genes are expressed in some degree in heterozygous individuals. The phenotype may be intermediate between the two homozygous phenotypes, or sensitive tests may detect each gene's product. 'Codominant' has many synonyms, such as incomplete dominant, partial dominant, semidominant, transdominant, less than dominant, and others.

5. Move genotype and phenotype to follow the definition of gene. At present, 'phenotype' is used in the fourth definition.

6. Q. What are 'homologous chromosomes'?

A. Chromosomes that have the same linear sequence of gene loci. The gene at each locus on one of the chromosomes is either the same as or very slightly different from the gene at the same locus on the other chromosome. The corn snake has 18 pairs of homologous chromosomes, making a total of 36 chromosomes.

7. Q. What is a 'trait'?

A. A characteristic.

8. Change 'co-dominant' to the standard spelling -- codominant.

9. Add to definition of 'homozygous' -- The genes may be either two copies of the normal allele or two copies of a mutant allele.

10. Add to the definition of 'heterozygous' -- The genes may be a normal allele and a mutant allele, or they may be different mutant alleles.

11. Applications, Q 1 -- The genotype of an amelanistic corn is pretty obvious. The answer would be correct if "Can I tell" in the question is changed to "Can I always tell". And 'trait' should be changed to 'mutant gene'. A trait is a difference from the wild type phenotype, not a mutant gene.

12. Applications, Q 2 -- Put the superscripts back in the gene symbols.

13. Applications, Q 3 -- This is the probability that a given hatchling would be a particular genotype, not a given egg. The answer needs some work, in my opinion. I figure that, as 3/4 of all the babies from the cross are expected to be normal, then 1/2 of 3/4 of the normals would be 9/32 of all the babies.

14. Applications, Q 4 -- I think the answer needs some work.

15 Morph section: delete the normal type or change it to something like 'a snake that would not look out of place in most of the corn snake's range in the wild.'
Line-bred morphs -- These have been selected to either develop a certain look or retain a certain look that is found in the wild. For the most part, the genes responsible have not been identified. Examples include Okeetee, Miami, and blood red.

16. Kudos for using sunkissed and lava instead of hypo B and hypo C!

I'm out of time and must close.