View Single Post
Old 03-24-2004, 09:52 AM   #3
karenfoster
The enclosure is glass with the metal mesh top as the pet stores sell you for a reptile. I'm not certain of the gallon size, but just estimating dimensions, I'd say its approx 3 feet long by 1-1.5 feet high. My husband thinks it is the 10 gallon size. The shavings are wood, aspen. There is an undertank heater at one end, a basking light with a 75 watt bulb, a rock cave (he hides most of the time) some greenery, sticks and a small water bowl. The water bowl is over the side where the undertank heater is. The rock cave is at the cool end. I'm thinking I need to reverse that relationship after reading some care sheets. He tends to come out in late afternoon, and soon after, my son comes in playing his video games loudly. I had my husband move him to a different location last night. There is a room within my son's room, that he has finished especially for the reptiles. (We also have a water dragon and a skink). The room has a door, so the reptiles can be closed off from activity in my son's room. Generally, I will empty the water dish and place a thawed pinkie in it around 1:00. They stay there for hours, and I throw it away. I've even tried putting it in when he seems to come out of hiding, leaving it in through the evening hours, but he still won't eat. Please advise if thre is a certain time of the day the food should be offered and the manner in which it should be offered. I think if I took the top off and tried to dangle it, he would just go hide. Also please tell me the proper temps at both ends. Do I need night heat/night bulbs? I think my situation is very typical. Fathers buy snakes and other reptiles for their sons, don't bother to educate themselves past what the pet store says, and the moms are left with trying to figure this out, to keep them alive. If he is to survive, it will be up to me, because I'm the only caregiver. Thanks for your help, Skye.