View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 08:47 PM   #8
Rich Z
There are places online where you can get designs, but they won't always be in the file format needed for the fiber laser. I had to buy a copy of Corel Draw to help with a lot of file conversions that EzCad itself doesn't work with at all, or work well with. And there have been some files I just could not get to work at all.

Artists would be able to make their own designs, and you can even convert from a raster image to a vector image when needed. Does take some work and trial and error sometimes. I was actually able to get the fiber laser to directly do a raster image, but it is highly dependent on the material you use to engrave upon. There is a pretty steep learning curve with this laser stuff. Every image needs different settings, and every material you use also needs particular settings. I would hate to have only a single item to work with and nothing to use as a test material to match. Maybe with lots more experience I could get what I wanted on the first try, but I am far from having that sort of confidence.

For instance, my first attempts at deep engraving on those slate coasters just wound up producing globs of melted rock. Looked awful. And even getting the "correct" setting, you need to learn that there is a point where you have to just shut off the laser. You can go too far sometimes. Less can be better in a lot of instances.