View Single Post
Old 09-16-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
Serpwidgets
I can't say I'd be surprised to see more hypo genes out there. I bet Kat will get F2 hypos that closely resemble the pictured "Transparent" hatchling.

I tried reading his description several times, but he used so many different names for things. WTF is a "Super Hypo" and how does that differ from Hypo, Sunkissed, and the "Transparent" hypo?

(Egh, I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE the names. I can't see its intestines or liver or heart, so it's not transparent. And THIS is blue. When you can hold it up 10 feet away and I see blue, I'll accept a cornsnake being called "blue" anything. Until then, it's NOT BLUE, thank you very much. )

I think it could be a legit "trait" though, based on what I've deciphered so far. My sense is that he's had this line for quite a while (maybe 10 years?) and has at least gone through the F2s with it. If he could write the story of the breeding trials in a way that made sense, it would probably help. And I'd really prefer if the original individual(s) were outcrossed to something that has no Hypo already in it... to be 100% sure it's actually its own "new" form of hypomelanism. ("I crossed it to a hypo and got hypos in the f2..." well duh...)

My questions are:

"Is this phenotype known to be caused by only a single mutation, or are we looking the combination of more than one form of hypomelanism?"

"Have progeny of this phenotype been proven to not express either known form of hypo? ('Standard Hypo' or Sunkissed)"

I hope it is something new. The more the merrier. Maybe we'll catch up with the mice people soon.