View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 12:18 PM   #10
JustinOfCO
Many years ago I attempted to apprehend what I think was a Great Plains Ratsnake in a friend's grocery store on the Eastern Plains of Colorado. It was happily soaking up the heat from some compressor coils for the coolers, and scared the tar out of my snake-phobic friend. It was colored, if my memory serves, far brighter than the what is normally seen and at the time I called it a corn snake, because that is all I really knew to call it. Come to find out in my research on corns that they're actually pretty closely related, and a few sources have even suggested they are a corn subspecies, though I have no idea how accurate that claim is.

I was not successful in relocating that particular snake, which escaped into the walls of the store (my friend made me search the basement for it, just in case). He was paranoid for a long time after. A few years later I went back to the store to quote some sign work, and found a large, complete shed of the same species just behind the store. I sent my buddy a picture with the caption of, "It's still here."

I actually still have the shed, you can see the belly checkers on it pretty well.