View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 02:37 AM   #1
VegasGhost
Question Shed with strange mucus

Okay, I just aquired a three year old female ghost corn snake last week (3/3/03) from another co-worker who could no longer take care of her because of conflicting vegan beliefs. I only live about ten minutes from her previous owner so the drive was an uneventful one, she settled in quickly and ate a fuzzie on 3/4/03. She has since pooed in her vivarium, on the carpet (so funny), once during a bath, and again in her water dish. She shed tonight (3/11/03) at 10:30pm PST, her previous owner indicated that she usually shed around 4:00am PST. Well I have already read the corn snake manual from front to back and constantly go back to read sections. Here's my major issue, the temperatures have been checked and rechecked over and over again to keep at 75 on the cold side and around 85 on the warm side, the humidity usually hovers between 60 and 70. Her previous owner indicated, and consistent with the manual, that she does one complete shed....well, the majority tonight was complete but there were bits and pieces here and there. I checked her out and she doesn't seem to have anything left that needs to shed, but I can't find one of her eye caps, it doesn't visibly look like there was still one to shed and neither of them feel like they didn't shed, also there was a mucus looking thing in the viv that wasn't there before the shed. It smelled funny, but looked like a mini human lougy. She doesn't have any signs of an obvious respitory problem or illness, but I have no idea what the mucus thing is. If anybody could give me some insight on the eyecap thing and that nasty mucus stuff that would be great, totally new to owning a snake so all I have is what I can find on the net and in the manual. Thanks for any help! -Nicole