CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

"Blue" Motleys

Old 07-12-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
ecreipeoj
"Blue" Motleys

Do you guys remember these? There was a thread started a few months back about an ad on the net, selling “Blue” Motleys. The thread turned a bit heated and was a very interesting topic.

I ended up buying the pair, just to see how they would turn out after I saw some photos from the actual breeders of the Blue Motleys. They are turning out very nice. We could debate whether or not they should be called blue anything, but they are definitely beautiful.

The male seems to have a blue head and a blue case to his body. Both of them have developed quite a bit of intense pink coloration and both have a Cobra attitude!

I don’t know what the genetics are behind them, but it will be interesting to breed these into a couple of projects and see what pops out. A test breeding to an Anery A Corn will be interesting. They are growing very nicely and should be able to breed in 05.

The pictures came out pretty good, but they still don’t show how intensely PINK, these guys really are. I have some pink Anery A’s, but they don’t compare.

Old 07-12-2004, 04:21 PM   #2
Cindy
I love the elephants head markings on them all....

Old 07-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
brownie55
Quote:
I don’t know what the genetics are behind them, but it will be interesting to breed these into a couple of projects and see what pops out.
Joe,

Please forgive me for asking this, but with the above quote, does it matter that there may be non-corn snake lineage in this pair? I am not opposed to hybrids, but I think that hybrids should be created and sold with full knowledge of the decission. So, if I stepped on toes, I am sorry, but I'd like to get your take.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
pewter
wow, what a snake even the wood is glowing blue :-D

Old 07-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #5
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by pewter
wow, what a snake even the wood is glowing blue :-D
I knew somebody was going to say that. I am innocent! LOL I saw that too. I took this first photo of some of my Amel Lava hatchlings and had the same problem. I was just experimenting with my camera and thought I would try to see if I could capture their true colors. I failed miserably.

I did not doctor the photos, but the male was in a clear blue Sterite container, so there is blue light shining on the bedding and the snake I am sure from the background light.

I took some more photos as the sun was going down tonight and I think I actually captured how pink they really are. The Blue didn't show up of course. I wish I could capture the dark and light colors of a snake in the same photo.

One of the Threads about these guys was called Pink Motleys which is a little more appropriate if you ask me. They are obviously and Anery type Motley that are incredibly pink.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #6
ecreipeoj
Yes, Tell us what you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie55
Joe,

Please forgive me for asking this, but with the above quote, does it matter that there may be non-corn snake lineage in this pair? I am not opposed to hybrids, but I think that hybrids should be created and sold with full knowledge of the decission. So, if I stepped on toes, I am sorry, but I'd like to get your take.

Thanks
Everything that I know about the “Blue” Motleys has been posted on this forum and by talking to the people who produce these particular “Blue” Motleys via email. I really don’t know anything about their origins, except that the breeders of these came in with a shipment to a wholesaler and were labeled Anery Corns. Their background was not known beyond that. Here are the links to the other threads that discussed the “Blue” Motleys.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...highlight=Blue

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Moyley

It would definitely matter to me if they are not pure corns. I have not heard anything that would lead me to believe they are anything other than pure corns. If anybody has any information otherwise, if would be great for everybody to know, so please post what you know. It the previous threads about them, there was no information that would have lead me to believe they are a hybrid of some type.

I have always been a purest in the past, but lately I am getting softer on that stand. I have never owned a Creamcicle for that reason, but I wouldn’t have a problem with it these days. Hybrids should definitely be represented as such. It is very possible for anybody, to maintain breeding groups of pure corns and hybrids in their colony and easily keep them separate and offer them for sale as what they really are.

I never owned a hybrid as far as I know in the past, but last year one of my male Gray Bands died in hibernation and I ended up breeding two of my Gray Banded females to an Amel Ruthveni. I kept 1.2 of them and I also bought 1.2 Albino Pueblans which are 50% Ruthveni. I have had Apricot Pueblans for many years and thought it would be interesting to try to produce some screaming Amel Orange Pueblans. I could still maintain a pure Pueblan breeding group and play with the Hybrids as well. The Hybrid Amel Pueblans would be a very good pet shop item down the road.

The issue of hybrids is as split as most political issues. Hybrids are here and here to stay, so we need to deal with them. They will always have the potential to become Space Garbage and pollute pure lines, but I don’t see how we can prevent that completely. Knowledge about the background of the snake we buy is our best protection, but nobody really knows what was bred into their Amel Corn they just bought by the thousands of people who have bred them in the past. I have had some of my lines of Corns for 20 years, but I bought them from somebody and do not remember who I bought most of them from. I bought them as such and such morph but, their background is not really known beyond that. I think this is the case with most Corns in peoples collections.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:51 PM   #7
Simon
Well I can't really see too much 'blue' in them...
but I would agree with the pink motley.

And from the photos I can tell you one thing for sure.

THEY DON'T LIKE YOU AT ALL!!! Look at them...all cureled up in the "S" shape ready to strike and flattening its little head...now to me I think that they're telling you that they don't like you and want to come home with me~ So send them over for the sake of the snakes~!

I would rather call these Pink Anery Motleys than Blue Motleys....cause when I think of Blue, I really think of blue...like sky blue, the blue on this forum is also nice~~

Old 07-13-2004, 02:10 AM   #8
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy
I love the elephants head markings on them all....
You mean these Elephant head markings. They are cute aren't they! One is blue and the other is pink. It is amazing what different lighting can do to your digital photos.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:47 AM   #9
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
I would rather call these Pink Anery Motleys than Blue Motleys....cause when I think of Blue, I really think of blue...like sky blue, the blue on this forum is also nice~~
I don't care what they end up being called. They are not my baby. They have been sold fairly widely as "Blue" Motleys, so I guess we will see what happens as time goes on. Pink Motley, Pink Anery Motley or Blue Motleys, they are all the same snake.

There is a serious objection to adding BLUE to the name of any corn that is not this color blue as I have found out in the past. I know a blue corn is possible, because I have some new contenders.

I have quite a few Anery's and these have a different look. My other Pink Anerys look brown at a distance, but not these guys. They have a Blue Steel coloring to them and blue in some areas. Like, I said it is not my baby, but I am not usually easily impressed. Every time I feed these guys, I am amazed at how striking they look.

Here are a couple more photos of the "Blue" Motleys in different lighting. One is under cloudy lighting and the other was with a flash under the same conditions. The last two photos are of one of my Pink Anerys. They look very different. I need to get them outside and see what they really look like.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:20 AM   #10
brownie55
Thanks

Thank you, sir, for your considered response regarding hybrids.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google