CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

New name for lighter Miami's??

Old 08-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
MysticExotics
New name for lighter Miami's??

I have a line of Miami Tessera's that are noticeably lighter than normal Miami Tessera's, and a couple people have commented about it, so I was wondering if I should give them a different name.

It does seem to be something that carries on, to the next generation.

I love both versions, the light and the darker.

I am certain the lighter coloring is from the original female I used in the F1 Miami Tessera project, when I borrowed Tara Smith's SMR Okeetee Tessera.

I have never seen another Miami even close to looking like her. I wish I could find one, she was really pretty. I lost her a few years back.
I have no idea where she came from or how old she was.

I am grateful that I was able to get some babies from her, and that they turned out so awesome!

The first two photos are of the originating Miami Dam.
The third photo is of one of the F1 offspring from 2011 (Brokk). He was one of the lightest, and has always been one of my favorites.

First his baby pic, then as an adult.

Should I name these lighter ones something different?
(Miami-lite?) LOL Cheesy, I know, but I'm wondering if I should distinguish these as different from just Miami Tessera's.

In the next couple posts, I will add more pics, to show the difference in coloring.

I am interested in hearing what others think.

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
MysticExotics
Here are some babies out of the sire, Brokk, the one pictured in the above post. Some are lighter, like he is, some are darker, more normal for Miami Tessera's.

Flint (ME-KAI-15-19M)
Citrine (ME-KAI-15-18)
Topaz (ME-KAI-15-16)
Ametrine (ME-KAI-15-13)

These are after first shed, and they will color up more as they get bigger.
Since I am holding back all of the babies, I can do progression pics to show the difference in color as they get bigger.

I realize it's not as easy to see the difference, as it is in person. I'll try to get better pics soon.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
MysticExotics
Here is Kai, the Dam to this years Miami Tessera X Miami Tessera. She is not as light as Brokk.

Next is Sterling, one of her offspring from last year, when she was paired to a Cinder male.
He is a little bigger and showing the darker Miami coloring.
I do not think that she had any light babies like Brokk (she was with a friend of mine last year).

Old 08-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
MysticExotics
This is one of Brokks female siblings. (Photo from Walter Smith) I sent her to Walter Smith, who found out by accident that there was a hidden Amel gene in there, and he produced Amel Tessera's from her last year.

She is a little lighter than Kai, the Dam to my current babies, but not as light as Brokk.

I do not recall seeing any lighter babies from her.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
MysticExotics
I have a dark Miami female from Steve Roylance, that I will be pairing with a couple different Miami Tessera's (Sterling, and Brokk) to see how the babies turn out.
She is het Cinder, so the pairing with Sterling will be a fun one.

I also have this pretty Miami from Carol (LBR) that I will be plugging into my Miami Tessera projects when she is big enough. She is ph Amel Motley.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
MysticExotics
I think it will be easier to see the difference if I put a lighter and a darker baby together in a pic. I will do that in a couple days, after they digest. (They ate their second meal last night).

Old 08-23-2015, 04:10 PM   #7
daisymaisy
Really beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
MysticExotics
Thank you!
What are your thoughts on a new name for the lighter Miami's?
Should I just keep calling them Miami's, or should I pick a new name (a version of Miami)?
They're not a new morph, but they do have a different look to them, and it does carry onto the next generation.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
ghosthousecorns
Honestly, I would stick with calling them Miami Tessera, as they are still the same morph. You could add "light" or "dark" phase to distinguish the two as yu have been.
My feeling is that there are so many different morph names out there it gets confusing, even a long time hobbyist (me) ends up having to go see what morph combo is called what on Ian's vivarium all the time. If you were to prove it was a different gene causing the lighter miami, it would be different. Too bad that original female was lost. I kind of feel similar regret on my banded corn original female, I should have never sold her and have eventually managed to recover the look from the one lone male I kept from her offspring. I can't wait to see what that miami from carol adds to your line, gorgeous snake.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #10
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Honestly, I would stick with calling them Miami Tessera, as they are still the same morph. You could add "light" or "dark" phase to distinguish the two as yu have been.
My feeling is that there are so many different morph names out there it gets confusing, even a long time hobbyist (me) ends up having to go see what morph combo is called what on Ian's vivarium all the time. If you were to prove it was a different gene causing the lighter miami, it would be different. Too bad that original female was lost. I kind of feel similar regret on my banded corn original female, I should have never sold her and have eventually managed to recover the look from the one lone male I kept from her offspring. I can't wait to see what that miami from carol adds to your line, gorgeous snake.
Thank you, this is the kind of input I was looking for.
There was a comment or two that almost came across that made me think I might need to call them something different, so I wanted to see what others thought.

It's not so much a different gene, as much as maybe a line bred thing.

Thank you, me too! I am really looking forward to future generations!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google