CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Missing :(

Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
mocha37
Missing :(

I would really appreciate any advice on how to find a missing snake. My 2 1/2 year old corn escaped sometime last night. There was a large rock covering the one hole in the lid and today it was on the floor and the snake is gone. I know its a difficult thing but if anyone has any advice at all I'd greatly appreciate it. We have dogs so i am worried about her safety and of course just want her safely back in her viv.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Joba
While you wait for people to chime in, you can search the site for threads on this topic. I think some people use a lamp to create a warm spot, perhaps near the cage. You could try putting out a prey item and some water. I've heard of people putting out flour on hard floors to in an attempt to "track" the snake. I've heard of snakes being found after months of escaping, so don't lose hope, even if time passes and he doesn't show up. Also, they can get into any place, even up high. I once found an escapee in the groove on top of a window (like, between the window and the frame!). I opened the window and out he dropped. Under appliances, in laundry, closets, anywhere. Watch the dogs too; they might spot it and actually point it out to you. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Shiverdam
Check all the dark, hidey spots in your house. My snake escaped the second night I had him. We turned my room upside-down to find him, eventually we gave up and waited for him to show up. He turned out to be hiding in the one spot we didn't check, and he was probably out all day, because my family and I were out at the Zoo. He did show up eventually, and that was with 3 cats in the house!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
Chromatic Corns
From the tank follow along the walls in both directions and check anything he could climb or hide under. Flour on the floor and if you resort to sticky traps, vegetable oil gets them off. They tend to climb and also go along walls

Old 05-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
rrowdy
Whatever you do just don't give up the search. I lost a 4-1/2' Male and he was gone over Two months, we thought we searched Everywhere and The wife wasn't happy about it either. We tried Flour, tape, shopping bags, Mice etc.
We kept a heat source out for him and as winter set in, he found the heat and we found him. And that was with Five Cattle dogs running around.
They do need water though and it's important to keep water out for him.

Best of luck to you!

Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
WestCoast_Redneck
I found mine after two months also! And we have a very busy household with a dog (cattledog) who has killed wild snakes. I'm sure you will find it. Ours was a baby, and survived two months without food/water, so don't give up!
BAIT TRAP! Shallow water dishes and hides in warm, dark places. I searched relentlessly, but never found ours until she decided to just hang out in the foyer downstairs. By the stories I've heard, it seems they will be found when they want to be found. Usually, missing snakes just turn up hanging out in the open. Try placing the hides from it's viv around. Sometimes the familiar smell attracts them to that hiding spot. Good luck!

Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Becca58
My Riker went AWOL back in January. We put down a piece of heat tape and water and hides and checked every day. Tried all the detection and trap methods suggested in various threads here: no luck.

After four months, I had given up all hope of finding him. I even came to think he was dead.

Then this past Saturday our cat found him - alive and well!

So, as others are saying: don't give up! Keep looking, try all the traps (it's warmer now; when Riker went AWOL he may have gone into brumation) and put down water. As you will find, most times a snake will stay within a 10 foot radius of its viv.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
gracierose9581
I agree with everyone, don't give up. I put the plastic bags around the base boards when my baby Copper escaped. After a few days I was afraid the cats or dog got him. I was moving some things around my room and moved a plastic bag and there he was all curled up. There are so many stories of these snakes being founds months after escaping. Try not to lose hope.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Myca
I will never forget when my oldest son's ball python went missing. It was back in my ' terrified of all snakes days. ' I like to sort laundry into nice piles on the floor...whites, colors ect. Scooped up and pile of laundry and dropped it really fast!

Old 05-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Christaberk
I lost my hatchling the day after I got her. I was devestated. I left out heat pads for her (with a towel over them so they didn't get too hot), bait traps, etc.

My cat found her under the vacuum cleaner on my birthday, a week and a half after she went missing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google