CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Corn Snake Newbie

Old 08-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
TCHOP561
Corn Snake Newbie

This will be the first Corn Snake that I own. I had lot of reptiles when I was a kid, turtles, iguanas, and other kinds of lizards, but no snakes. My mom was terrified of them. I also teach 8th grade science and thought it would be a cool classroom pet. I plan on taking him home on the weekends I went with an Extreme Okeetee from cherryvillereptiles. Thoughts? Just thought I'd stop by and say hi. I am lookin' forward to getting my Okeetee!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
grankin01
Welcome to the forums and make sure you post some pics when you get him/her.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #3
TaraRawr
Welcome!!! I am still pretty new, but this place is great! If you have any questions, there are always amazing people with a lot of experience more than willing to help you. (And Okeetees are BEAUTIFUL!!)

Old 08-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Arachne
Welcome! I'm new too, and so far this has been a great community, lots of helpful friendly people. I've seen pictures of extreme Okeetees and they're really striking. Congrats on the new addition.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
TCHOP561
Thanks. Would you recommend getting a hatchling, juvenile, or yearling/adult? I know the hatchlings require more care and work, but what would you guys recommend?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
anerybree
If you want a snake that is already handle-able, go with a yearling/adult. Hatchlings may be nippy and nervous, and since you are going to be a teacher, you might want a snake that doesn't get lost so easily! Extreme okeetees are indeed beautiful!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
TCHOP561
Thanks for the prompt reply anery. Would getting a hatchling be more beneficial in the long run in terms of knowing me better and thus allowing me to handle her easily?

Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
TaraRawr
I do not have much experience at all...but I got a hatchling and he/she is WONDERFUL! He/she was never nippy or hard to handle. I know we probably got really lucky, but it can happen!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
TCHOP561
Thanks. I asked for one just a bit bigger than a hatchling but not quite yet an adult (a juvenile?) I am expecting to get her on Tuesday. Are two thermometers, one for each side of the tank, really necessary or would one suffice? I bought one from Walmart but I am wondering if I should go back and get another. Thanks for all the help fellas. I really like this place.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #10
grankin01
I use two (one for each end) but I don't think its necessary. One for the hot end would probably be okay.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google