CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie here

Old 08-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
Zindar
Newbie here

Olahokagen!

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you out there. Before I got my new corn, Nagazal, I read up on all sorts of info here. It really answered a lot of my questions, and made the transition much easier.

I still have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer...

I'm keeping Nagazal in my living room, and I've read that a decent lighting schedule is 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Problem is that I (and my family) still use the living room way after the tank's light goes off. I've been covering the tank with a towel so the light won't bother Nagazal, but I don't know if that's necessary or it could be problematic. What should I do?

Also, can someone please tell me what kind of corn he/she is?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
TalonaCat
Welcome! I, like you, find these forums to be a crucial part of my learning process. You will love it here!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
K. Rene
Hi there and welcome. It looks to me like you have a pretty normal (classic) color corn snake, and a pretty one at that.

I don't have any lights on my corns at all, two are in the living room but most of them are with us in the computer room and we have the light on after dark, doesn't seem to bother them at all.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Zindar
Thanks! And I do love it here! There's a lot of great info.

Cool. I thought it was a normal, but wasn't totally sure. So do you think I don't need the light at all?

Old 08-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Airidies
I don't use lights on any of mine either... I just open the blind to let in some light for their day cycle... no one is in the direct sun though...

Old 08-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
AdamKus
Corns snakes doesnt need light (in fact its better not to have one so you dont get too much heat and minimise the risk of the snake getting burned if he decided to go for the light).

All you need for the snake is the natural light source so he can set his body clock

Welcome to the forum and hope you can find all the information you need

Ohh and also..... lovely snake

Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
TCHOP561
Very nice lookin' snake. I keep mine in the living room next to my TV without using lights or covering it. How long have you had it

Old 08-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Zindar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airidies View Post
I don't use lights on any of mine either... I just open the blind to let in some light for their day cycle... no one is in the direct sun though...
Yeah, I have the blinds open for part of the day, and he/she isn't in direct line of it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamKus View Post
Corns snakes doesnt need light (in fact its better not to have one so you dont get too much heat and minimise the risk of the snake getting burned if he decided to go for the light).

All you need for the snake is the natural light source so he can set his body clock

Welcome to the forum and hope you can find all the information you need

Ohh and also..... lovely snake
I have the light about 2 feet above the tank because it was making the tank too hot. I'm really just using it for light, not heat.
So far, I've found answers to all my questions. This site is great!
Thanks! I think the little bugger's cute too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHOP561 View Post
Very nice lookin' snake. I keep mine in the living room next to my TV without using lights or covering it. How long have you had it
Thanks!
I've had Nagazal for about 2 weeks. Going on what the woman who gave him/her to me, It seems like he/she is about 3 months old.

I need to find out if Nagazal is a boy or girl....

Old 08-19-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
AdamKus
http://www.cornsnake.co.uk/sexing-corn-snakes.php - You can find out if its a boy or girl by doing what it says there, but I wouldnt do it myself since you may hurt your snake if you dont do it properly...

The best way is to make someone who did it before do it, like someone working in a pet shop

Old 08-19-2011, 03:19 AM   #10
MysticExotics
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful little baby! I love the thick borders!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google