CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Melanistic Corn

Old 08-25-2022, 11:09 AM   #11
crackerhead
Every single time a possible new gene pops up in the hobby people yell Hybrid regardless of the provenance of the animal. It seems to be some type of hazing process that the corn snake community has decided everyone must be subjected to in order to be accepted.
At this point in the game I don't know whether it matters really. We have so many hybrids already muddying the genetic waters. I doubt there are many "pure" corn snakes left for comparison within the hobby population. Consider how many Ultramel, Creamsicle or Het scaleless "corn snakes" have been dumped in the gene pool without being labelled as such. Kind of tough to get all fussed about an animal being a hybrid with that stuff already accepted as family.
I guess it's interesting to know the backstory regardless. I'd love to see Florian test the animals for Cinder (commonly found mixed in the Miami lines) and Diffused (based on the odd side patterns and clear belly of the hatchling). I hope it is a new gene to play with though. We get so few of those and the discovery seems to take forever. lol
I wish him luck.
Terri

Old 08-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #12
SnakeSmithS
Personally, I'm fine with mutations being imported from other species. I have plenty of Ultra lurking in my collection. Of course, we have no idea if that is the case here or not. However, Florian is a professional breeder who does this for a living (for profit). Eventually he will sell some of his melanistic corns, and the price will no doubt be significantly affected by whether or not the community thinks his snakes are hybrids. IMO, being transparent, and sharing photos of the parents and siblings can only help him establish his case, and I hope he decides to do so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google