CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New to snakes from AZ!

Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
HoneyHawthorne
New to snakes from AZ!

Hello! I recently started my search for my perfect corn snake and have been doing a TON of research and yet still have so much to learn! Any advice you have would be great

For starters.. I have a 60 gal tank (4ft x 1 ft x 2 ft) that I would like to use (the only other option is a 10 gal), but some sources say that the tank is too big while others say the bigger the better.. What are your thoughts?

Also.. where do you guys get your mice from?

Old 11-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Tavia
Hello and welcome!
It really depends on the age and size of the snake you get, the 60 gallon is going to be way too big for a hatchling and probably a yearling too. A half to full grown corn will do great in there though, say probably a two year old on up. Snakes don't all grow at the same pace, and how much they are fed is a big factor in their growth too, so those ages are approx.
The 10 gallon would be fine to grow up a hatchling snake in to begin with and then you could move it to the 60 later, once it's bigger and won't get lost in the tank, if you end up with a younger snake.

We get our mice online, in bulk, because we have enough to feed that makes it worth the shipping. Usually use either Rodent Pro or Layne Labs.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
xoxocammyxoxo
For a baby snake or yearling the 10 gallon tank will probably be fine. I think that 60 gallons may be a lot of space for a corn snake but then again maybe not. If your snake turns out to be pretty active then it would probably be cool. But it would kinda erk me if I had a 60 tank and a snake that did nothing but hide unless it was pooping or drinking.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
HoneyHawthorne
Thank you Tavia!

It looks like I'll probably be getting a baby, I may have just found my snake! ^.^
I am glad to hear you have had good experiences with Layne Labs, as that was the one I was most tempted with. (Even with shipping it's cheaper than my local pet store!)

Old 11-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Tavia
I like the quality of Layne Labs best but am not unhappy with the quality of Rodent Pro and Rodent Pro has sales and coupons quite often, so we usually end up going with them. Not on sale, RP's prices are usually lower for their mice but their shipping is higher, so if no sale is going on, we go with LL and usually come out the same or a little less. LL is also nicer for people with a smaller number of snakes, as they let you buy less of the smaller mice in an order. At RP, up until weaning size (I think) the mice are only available in hundred lots, way more of one size than one snake will need.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
HoneyHawthorne
That's a good point Cammy. I am definitely going to start out with the 10 gal for the little one, and if they are active and have been living comfortable with me for a few months maybe I'll move him/her to the big tank.

I do have another question now.. HEATING
I live in AZ where my house NEVER goes below 75 degrees. In the winter (this time of year) the house is between 76 and 78. In the summer it is usually 82 during the day and 78 at night.
I know that the cold end of the tank should be around 75 (no lower than 70) and the warm end should be around 85.
Thus, how should I heat my tank?
I have heard that under the tank heaters are best, but that a light bulb during the day is sufficient for climates like mine.
I know that heat is particularly important for digesting food. Would only using a under the tank heater for the day of feeding and 48 hours following be a good/bad idea?
If using an under the tank heater, what do you use to create a barrier between the glass and the snake? (As the snake could just bury under the substrate and be against the glass that is directly being heated and over heat.)

Old 11-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
HoneyHawthorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
I like the quality of Layne Labs best but am not unhappy with the quality of Rodent Pro and Rodent Pro has sales and coupons quite often, so we usually end up going with them. Not on sale, RP's prices are usually lower for their mice but their shipping is higher, so if no sale is going on, we go with LL and usually come out the same or a little less. LL is also nicer for people with a smaller number of snakes, as they let you buy less of the smaller mice in an order. At RP, up until weaning size (I think) the mice are only available in hundred lots, way more of one size than one snake will need.

That is what I noticed. Honestly, we just don't have the freezer space for 100 mice and that would be enough for a full year! With having to open the same bag causing repeated air exposure, even if we had the space I don't imagine they would be 'good' for the full year anyways.
Thank you so much! I think I'll go with Layne then ^.^

Old 11-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
Joba
Go with a UTH and make sure you also run a thermostat. A lamp will dry out our already dry air here in the desert. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyHawthorne View Post
I do have another question now.. HEATING
I live in AZ where my house NEVER goes below 75 degrees. In the winter (this time of year) the house is between 76 and 78. In the summer it is usually 82 during the day and 78 at night.
I know that the cold end of the tank should be around 75 (no lower than 70) and the warm end should be around 85.
Thus, how should I heat my tank?
I have heard that under the tank heaters are best, but that a light bulb during the day is sufficient for climates like mine.
I know that heat is particularly important for digesting food. Would only using a under the tank heater for the day of feeding and 48 hours following be a good/bad idea?
If using an under the tank heater, what do you use to create a barrier between the glass and the snake? (As the snake could just bury under the substrate and be against the glass that is directly being heated and over heat.)
A UTH on a proportional thermostat set to 80 degrees will do the trick. You'll not have to worry about the snake getting burns as it will propabaly be turning itself off most of the time with your ambient temps and the thermostat will keep it in safe range when it is on.
One thing to remember is that thermostats can and do fail, usually in the 'on' position, so a digital thermometer set to alarm at high temps is a good investment

Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
kathylove
Welcome!

Glad to see another person from the Phoenix area joining the forum! There are several CS members who are in the area, and I am sure you will meet them soon!

I wanted to let you know that there will be a reptile expo in Mesa this weekend. I will be a vendor, and it might be a chance to meet other area herp keepers, too. And whether you already bought your snake or not, there will probably be good deals on supplies and frozen mice, too. Check it out: http://phxreptileexpo.com/

Also, there is a herp society with monthly meetings on the 4th Tues of every month. Bill and I are board members, and it is something I look forward to every month. This month will be a show and tell for members. Some will bring an animal to show off, but more will bring photos / digital images to share. Most members probably won't bring anything, but will just enjoy others' images and animals. There will also be a Christmas party next month. For more info: https://www.facebook.com/azreptiles. If you are not on FB, the AHA has a regular website, too. But it is not updated very regularly, so the FB is better. The group will also have a table at the show this weekend. So stop by to see them at the AHA booth, and say "hello" to me at the Bill Love Photography table, too.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google