CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New Member: Eggs Hatched!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
ghackett1
New Member: Eggs Hatched!!!

Hello to all, new member here from south Florida.
Over the last year I picked up a folded flat lawn chair while cleaning the carport and there was a beautiful corn snake under it. So, I made a cage for it and kept it. Been a great pet. Then like nine months later I'm walking way out in the back and along the hedge I find another big one, so eventually I made another cage and kept that one. My full intention was to make that the last one and if I found another one I would just admire it and let it go. Well it took me like four months to get the 2nd cage built and ready for the second one so I left them together. Finally I put the 2nd snake in the new cage and went about my business. Weeks went by and I look into one of the cages and there were 13 eggs!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. So then I found this website and learned how to build an incubator, used vermiculite and moss, kept temp. at 80 and humid around 85-90 and this weekend they started hatching!!! It was just amazing. Right now I have Seven and it looks like I may get a couple more. I made up separate plastic cages for them with water and looks like there are several more to go. So I thinks its really neat I have a breeding pair of wild corn snakes by dumb luck. Babies are doing good. I will wait for first shed to feed first small pinkies.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
kdickens
Smile Congratulations!

That's an amazing story! Thanks for sharing it. Hope all your babies 'come out' alright! Since they are wild you can release some of them! Congrats!

Old 08-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #3
ghackett1
Thanks Kdickens, I will definitely be letting most of them go. I will give a couple away to a good home.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
MysticExotics
I would check before releasing any of them into the wild, including the parents. It is illegal in many areas to do so.

Even WC animals, after being captive for a while, are not to be released into the wild.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #5
ghackett1
Ok thanks, I'll be sure to look into it. Right now we are just enjoying the new FAMILY!!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
jagodzinski
Very cool! I would love to see some pictures if you get a chance. And welcome to the site, you can find just about everything you would ever need.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
ghackett1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagodzinski View Post
Very cool! I would love to see some pictures if you get a chance. And welcome to the site, you can find just about everything you would ever need.
Thanks, I'll try to get pics up. Agree on the site tons of info., I knew nothing about all this and after reading tons of posts on hatching, etc. I was able to pull it off which some say is not that easy. You guys made it easy for me. Thanks!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
kdickens
MysticExotics .... Ooops .... didn't know about the wild caught release thing! Sorry, don't like giving out wrong info. I'd like to see some pics of the little guys though!

Old 08-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #9
ghackett1
Here is pic of one if it works:

Old 08-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #10
ghackett1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghackett1 View Post
Here is pic of one if it works:
They are about 9-12" long. All are brown with some more red looking.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google