CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Sort of new...hello

Old 11-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Pandora89
Sort of new...hello

Hello all. I'm a now corn snake owner. I got my first back in May(Pandora) and my husband bought me another one for the birthday a few weeks ago (Cinnamon). I have always wanted a snake and now I have two! I have been stalking this sight since before I bought Pandora. I thought it was about time for me to join. So I guess I'll say hello to all you other corn lovers <3.

Meet Pandora. I have no idea what she is, so if you think you know please tell me. This is when I first got her (28g)

This is her now. (125g)

Here is a head shot:

Meet Cinnamon. I'm pretty sure she is a Normal. I love her color. ^__^

Old 11-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Tavia
Hello and welcome! Very beautiful snakes! Pandora looks like a very peachy Ghost and Cinnamon is a normal but I'd say about qualifies in looks for an Okeetee.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
NH93
Wow, both are beauties!! Welcome. (I am not great at morphs but I would also say your "normal" could indeed be an Okeetee!)

Old 11-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Pandora89
I don't really know the difference between a normal and an okeetee. Someone told me it had to do with the black bordering. I don't really know all that much about morphs. I was just guessing that she was a normal, I didn't think that she had the possibility of being a okeetee.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
Merkavich
Yeah I'd say Okeetee as well, they tend to me more vibrant yellowish orange and their saddles are bigger than classics.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora89 View Post
I don't really know the difference between a normal and an okeetee. Someone told me it had to do with the black bordering. I don't really know all that much about morphs. I was just guessing that she was a normal, I didn't think that she had the possibility of being a okeetee.
Not sure how familiar you are with breeding terms and genetics. But Okeetees are kind of complicated. Thankfully there aren't a lot of localities in corns yet but especially in some other snake species, the "locality" and "purity" are very important to keepers of them. Locality refers to the discreet area where a group of snakes are found, that within that area, look in some way different than the same species does outside of that area.
Okeetees come from the Okeetee Hunt Club area originally and most of the ones found in that area tended to have much wider borders and more vibrant colors. So to a purist, a true Okeetee is one who's ancestry can be traced back to animals taken from that area, with no other outcrossing of other corns into their lines.
But some breeders started to line breed snakes from that area, to enhance the look that they had, wide borders and extreme colors. There are a number of those lines out there, the Love line, Abbotts etc.
Now, quite a few of those breeders crossed in corn snakes from other regions, because they were interested in creating a certain 'look' and didn't care about purity. So those are often called lookeetees by the purists.
From a purist viewpoint, yours is not an Okeetee unless you know it's ancestry for sure. But from the viewpoint of its look you can say its an Okeetee.
Hopefully, that wasn't too confusing?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
MACS76
Welcome this is a great site and very helpful people

Old 11-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
TheFrogman
Wow, welcome and she is very pretty indeed.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Pandora89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Not sure how familiar you are with breeding terms and genetics. But Okeetees are kind of complicated. Thankfully there aren't a lot of localities in corns yet but especially in some other snake species, the "locality" and "purity" are very important to keepers of them. Locality refers to the discreet area where a group of snakes are found, that within that area, look in some way different than the same species does outside of that area.
Okeetees come from the Okeetee Hunt Club area originally and most of the ones found in that area tended to have much wider borders and more vibrant colors. So to a purist, a true Okeetee is one who's ancestry can be traced back to animals taken from that area, with no other outcrossing of other corns into their lines.
But some breeders started to line breed snakes from that area, to enhance the look that they had, wide borders and extreme colors. There are a number of those lines out there, the Love line, Abbotts etc.
Now, quite a few of those breeders crossed in corn snakes from other regions, because they were interested in creating a certain 'look' and didn't care about purity. So those are often called lookeetees by the purists.
From a purist viewpoint, yours is not an Okeetee unless you know it's ancestry for sure. But from the viewpoint of its look you can say its an Okeetee.
Hopefully, that wasn't too confusing?
Yes, I understand what you mean. Without me knowing its history I can't really know if it's a true or fake okeetee.(Fake just being selective breeding).

Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
hypnoctopus
Welcome! They're both really beautiful. I'd say Pandora looks like a pastel ghost.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google