CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New Member - Long Time Reader

Old 11-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #1
imapiper2
New Member - Long Time Reader

I stopped in to introduce myself. I am Terryll (Terri) Rex and have been here before, perusing off and on for a couple of years. Just registered yesterday. I am a hobbyist breeder with too many snake (umm how did that happen?). I figured if I want to keep doing this I need to find a way to sell some of the hatchlings I produce. In the past it wasn't aproblem because I only had a couple females and one male. Now there is no room in my dining room cause it's full of cages and tanks (umm, how did htat happen?) and I find I have more babies this year than ever. It's also the first time I have had classics hatch. My problem boils down to the fact I am not in a good locations for shipping. Only access to a Fedex shipping center I have is in Delaware (I live in the southern end of Pennsylvania) which considers corn snakes to be an endangered species so I can't even take them there. Plus I haven't the foggiest idea how to ship in the first place. I have always just done pick-up with no problems. I am considereing trying to find someone close by that travels to shows that would be interested in selling some of my hatchlings for a commission, but don't even know where to begin with that either, nor what a good commission to offer would be. I wouldn't want to be insulting, but neither would I want to be taken advantage of for my lack of knowledge on the subject. I'm also not in a good position to start my own business, as PA is not exactly business friendly as I have tried to look into it before and only fried my brain....wish Delaware wasn't so anti-snake, it's easy there to do business. Also wouldn't mind finding snakey friends close by ... any advice, help is always appreciated and I hope people here are friendlier than ball python people I've encountered in the past (they practically ganged up on me and turned on me like a pack of wild mad dogs, which turned me away from BPs and on to corn snakes instead - so you might find me a bit head shy). Thanks

Old 11-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Twolunger
Hi Terri, I was wondering why you believe corn snakes are on an endangered species list in Pennsylvania? I found no corns listed on the endangered species list maintained by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat website. They don't even show up as a species of concern. You should be able to ship through FedEx using one of the reptile shipping services advertised online. Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if any breeder would want to try selling your hatchlings, as you would be in competition with them for a somewhat limited market at the reptile shows. Most breeders hatch morphs today that are in a higher demand, although they may produce some classics due to pairing results. Most reptile shows have a "table" charge or fee, so it's only feasible to bring your higher priced specimens. I've seen classics sell for $10, so what would you give an exhibitor as a commission? Even 10% is only a dollar, if they could sell them. I think your best bet will be to try to sell complete clutches at a wholesale price, or advertise individual corns locally. I do have classics, and think they are beautiful, but keep them for my own pleasure and don't reproduce them. If I sell enough snakes to pay for my rodents, I'm a happy man.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
imapiper2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Hi Terri, I was wondering why you believe corn snakes are on an endangered species list in Pennsylvania? I found no corns listed on the endangered species list maintained by the Pennsylvania Fish & Boat website. They don't even show up as a species of concern. You should be able to ship through FedEx using one of the reptile shipping services advertised online. Unfortunately, I'd be surprised if any breeder would want to try selling your hatchlings, as you would be in competition with them for a somewhat limited market at the reptile shows. Most breeders hatch morphs today that are in a higher demand, although they may produce some classics due to pairing results. Most reptile shows have a "table" charge or fee, so it's only feasible to bring your higher priced specimens. I've seen classics sell for $10, so what would you give an exhibitor as a commission? Even 10% is only a dollar, if they could sell them. I think your best bet will be to try to sell complete clutches at a wholesale price, or advertise individual corns locally. I do have classics, and think they are beautiful, but keep them for my own pleasure and don't reproduce them. If I sell enough snakes to pay for my rodents, I'm a happy man.
Thank you for the response. It's Delaware that considers them an endangered species. That's where the closest Fedex Ship Center is located to me, even though I am in PA. I'm on the Maryland border, but don't know Maryland at all. I work in Delaware which is why I'm familiar with what's around, the Newark area anyway. I'm completely new this year to having so many to sell so yeah, I don't know, which is why I was putting feelers out there. As far as getting a table myself, I haven't a business license in any state since I am just a hobbyist and not looking to make money, at least not big bucks. Like you, I'm happy just making enough to cover my rodents, bedding, etc so I can enjoy the hobby.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
Twolunger
It's certainly a good idea to check on the laws in the states where reptile business is conducted. We used to attend and sell reptiles at several reptile shows, and all that was required, at that time, was a table fee. Later on my son had a business license and I know he had to pay sales tax on sold reptiles. I don't know what is required now, but someone on the forum may be able to answer that question.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Twolunger
I did a little research and found that there is a FedEx Shipping Center in Lancaster, PA. You have to ship through a center that accepts "dangerous goods," like that one. I looked up one company that ships through FedEx called Ship Your Reptiles, but there are others online that offer the same services. You don't need to be a Certified shipper at FedEx to use the service. If you can't drive to the shipping center you may pay extra to have FedEx pick up your parcels. SYR explains it on their website. You can advertise your corns in the classified section of this forum, or register on the Fauna Classifieds. You may want to become a Certified FedEx shipper. You can scroll down to Nanci's member blog and she explains the procedure. Good luck, and I hope that helps.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #6
DLena
SYR does a great job. Check them out on the FaunaClassified BOI (Board of Inquiry). And welcome.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
Dragonling
I have had excellent service using Reptiles2You as well. The owner, Debbie, is extremely helpful.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google