CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Close up lens/filter?

Old 01-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #1
Joejr14
Close up lens/filter?

Is this a decent option if you don't have the money to spend on a macro lens? I know that my 18-55mm lens is unable to focus at an object that's closer than 6 inches and I know a close up lens would help.

Question is this. I know that taking pictures at closer than 6 inches will cancel the pop-up flash, and I don't have any slave flashes. Does this make a close up lens/filter useless?

Old 01-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Spiritmist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Is this a decent option if you don't have the money to spend on a macro lens? I know that my 18-55mm lens is unable to focus at an object that's closer than 6 inches and I know a close up lens would help.

Question is this. I know that taking pictures at closer than 6 inches will cancel the pop-up flash, and I don't have any slave flashes. Does this make a close up lens/filter useless?
Yes, close-up lenses are excellent options if you don't want to spend the money on a macro lens. They are not flat-field corrected as a true macro lens is, but unless you are taking documentary shots of things like stamps, you would likely never notice. Just make sure you get the two-element types. Single element close-up lenses are generally speaking, horrible. You have a Nikon, no? Look at the 3T, 4T, 5T, and 6T depending on what filter size and diopter you need.

Keep in mind you've got other options for higher magnification photography as well- extension tubes, reversing lenses and teleconveters, for example.

Best of luck!

~Brian

Old 01-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Joejr14
Yes, I've got a Nikon D50.

Someone had told me about the close ups but I was really unsure which one to get.....and I couldn't get the 6T, and I couldn't really find out what I 'needed'.

I guess my problem is that I don't know what diopter size I need.

Are the others a better option (considering prices)?

Old 03-15-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
TrpnBils
My 4-t was about $50 if I remember right but it's totally worth it because it lets you use all the zoom on your camera at a distance of about 12". Take a look at the link in my signature. All of the Macro stuff and all of the herp shots in the Outdoor-Wildlife gallery were taken with the 4-t. I'm impressed with the quality of the pictures (I had another close-up filter before this and all of the shots came out vignetted and distorted) and I think it was well worth the money

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google