CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Corn Barely Eats

Old 01-27-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
ColleenH
Corn Barely Eats

Hi I have a corn snake I think he's around 3 I adopted him last year and I've always had problems getting him to eat. I have a second corn snake who would eat every day if I let him. Anyway, the one who won't eat, I try mostly to leave him alone. His habitat is perfect. I've tried everything that's been suggested on all reptile forums, and he does eat every once in awhile. But I don't think enough. He is slightly underweight I think. Tonight he finally took a rat and started eating it but it's arms were sticking out and it was like he couldn't get around them and he spit the whole thing out. And it was not too big of a rat for him it was actually on the smaller side. So I know he's hungry he's just really finicky I guess. His previous owner has told me that he's always been weird about all kinds of things. I'm just worried about him and I feel sorry for him

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Old 01-31-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
so get him something he can swallow. Perhaps a Mouse

Old 01-31-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
SnakeCreations
Hi Colleen,

It is unfortunate and worrisome when a snake won't eat well. Trying to figure it out is maddening, and sometimes there just isn't a clear answer. Have you thought about taking him to a vet to rule out any physical problems?

It's worth considering switching to mice, smaller prey more often until your snake is consistently eating.

Good luck!

Tonya

Old 02-03-2021, 06:32 AM   #4
Zincubus
Try the hairdryer method ... it works fabulously well for Royal / Ball pythons but it also works very well with all snakes .

Don’t try it with your King snakes though unless you are wearing body armour

::::: The Hairdryer Method ::::

I let the frozen rodents thaw naturally in the snake room for a few hours then in the evening most of the snakes are ready and waiting ( even drooling lol) .. then a 5 to 10 second blast with a hairdryer and BOOM .

It works 99% of the time but if the snake is determined to fast or it’s going into shed mode then just leave it 7 to 10 days .

The thing about the hairdryer trick is that it’s a ‘method ‘ really .. feed evenings, dim or low lighting , wait until the snake is well settled under a hide ( or has its head peeling out ) then blast the mouse /rat with hairdryer and INSTANTLY dangle it in front of the hide entrance for them to drag under and eat . If it doesn’t get it first time but shows even the slightest interest then they will take it if you repeat the method each time .

PS
For snakes with heat-pits ( like Royal pythons ) It is important to get the warmed up mouse/rat to the hide entrance immediately so their heat pits can kick in .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google