CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Dehydrated or shedding?

Old 02-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #1
lucysmom
Dehydrated or shedding?

I am a new snake mom of a baby snow corn snake. Did a ton of research on my own, but the reptile store left me with little info and I feel so lost. I brought her home last Thursday. She ate like a champ on Sunday and has been going to the bathroom and everything, but she looks more than just pre-shed wrinkly (I have not seen her go through shed yet). The shriveled skin around her neck is really concerning me, particularly the vertical line down the majority of her body. I have a water bowl and a humid hide in her tank. Just bought a humidity gauge that is coming in today.

Including a picture.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I just want to care for my sweet girl right.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
Shiari
That is either dehydration or a full body stuck shed. As you are in a desert you might actually want to consider a different substrate than aspen. Something like forest floor would be good. Make it about 3 inches deep and you'll be adding water to it weekly probably. Also buy a good digital hygrometer to keep track of the humidity in the tank. In the meantime, make a snake "sauna" for her bu soaking a hand towel in tepid water and putting the towel in the bottom of a small plastic container with a couple holes punched in it to allow some air flow but not a ton, as you want the humidity to build up. Put the snake in there for about half an hour.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
lucysmom
Will try this. Thank you so much. She won't get too cold being in there for a just half hour because of the lukewarm towel, right?

Old 02-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Rich Z
Monitor the humidity when you get your gauge. Sometimes too much humidity can look exactly like too little. I had this problem happen with a blotched kingsnake many moons ago. I kept on raising the humidity and that only made matters worse until I figured it out.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
lucysmom
Put my humidity gauge in while I had her in the sauna and it read a miserable 20%. Talk about feeling like a trash human! After two soaks, she shed beautifully bank in the tank in one piece. Changing out her bedding to forrest floor today as I'm having a lot of fluctuation in my humidity reads due to the glass tank with mesh top. Really wish I had known to buy her environment and get it perfected before taking her home, but we are managing. Thank you for the help!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google