CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Gravid Snake not Laying Eggs

Old 05-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
Addie
Gravid Snake not Laying Eggs

For the past couple months, I have been attempting to breed my two corn snakes, both of which have never been bred before. I have a candy-cane, part albino male and a beautiful Miami female, who is about 3 years old. I successfully brought them through brumation and saw them have intercourse (photo included) about a month ago, after which I put the female back in her terrarium (They mated in the male's). Three weeks ago, the female shed, so I introduced a lay hide to her terrarium, a wooden one with moss. I spray the moss every couple of days so it stays moist, and changed out the female's large water bowl for a smaller one. However, though the female has spent a lot of time in the lay hide, I haven't noticed a significant bump near her tail, which makes me wonder if she is even gravid. It has been nearly three weeks since the post-intercourse shed, and she still shows no signs of a bump and has not laid any eggs. Should I be worried? Is it possible that she isn't even gravid? Photos of intercourse and of the female are included.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:12 PM   #2
Shiari
She doesn't look particularly gravid. But you should probably have her examined by a vet to be certain nothing is wrong. I lost a girl to eggbinding this year, it sucks.
Also, your male is a standard amel, not a candycane.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
Frank Pinello
You mentioned that they mated about a month ago and the female shed about 3 weeks ago.
Another possibility......With some young 3 year olds, they may go through a second post burmation shed before ovulation. I would pair them up again and wait for another shed cycle.
My corns lay anywhere from 6 to 10 days after pre-egg laying shed. No eggs after 2 weeks may mean a problem as Megan mentioned or she may have re-Absorbed her eggs.
I had a 4 year old corn mate and had obvious signs of ovulation but never layed eggs that year. However this same snake layed eggs the year before and after the re-absorbtion year.
Her 4th and 5th years she had the same mate with obviously different success.
Keep us posted.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google