CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Questions.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #1
Krisb
Questions.

Questions!
The natural setup. I plan on doing the three soil mix. I have the overhead lighting. I have slate pieces. I have two more stone type Hides and one black plastic box looking one that is pretty big (half the size of a shoe box. The other two hides are hand sized. Here's the question. I have lots of fake greenery. If I do a slate spot heavily cluttered with greens under the heat lamp could that be considered the hot hide or does he need a physical cave. Second one of the hides is a hide water dish combo. Since water will be in the dish top part of the hide would it make sense to have this as the humid hide.

Substrate I don't plan on making the tank bioactive right off. How do I keep mold, fungus, gnats, at bay, how do I keep my dirt from getting funky.

I'm assuming a night drop in temp is ok? If I have to turn the light off. The tank in my home that get no heat at night stay right around 70 sometimes 69°. Is that ok. Thank you.

Old 12-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Are you working with a baby or an adult? If it's a baby, I would highly recommend having an actual hide in the hot spot. If they don't feel safe enough to lay out in the open, they won't want to use the appropriate warmth and they may have regurges. If it's a non-shy adult, you might be able to get away with having no hide there, just some leafy cover.

As for night time temp drop, I wouldn't recommend it. The light will need to go off at night, so you'll need to heat the warm side either with an under tank heater or a ceramic heat emitter.

Also, your setup sounds cool, I would love to see pictures of it!

Old 12-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
Krisb
Can they have too much UVB?. Is 10% too high?

Old 12-03-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
Krisb
A baby/juvenile

Old 12-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
hypnoctopus
Hmm, I'm actually not sure. I would definitely limit exposure to UVB if you'll be getting any amel-based morph.

Old 12-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #6
chairman
I imagine UVB would only be potentially harmful to albinos. Unless you have a coil style bulb, they used to cause blindness in reptiles due to manufacturing errors; not sure if the quality on those has improved.

Technically the snake doesn't need UVB as it gets its vitamin D from its diet. As noted, choosing to provide some is unlikely to cause harm in the majority of cases.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
Krisb
I didn't even think of that I will probably pass on the UVB and let what filtered sunlight comes through just be it. We are hoping to snag an extreme reverse okeetee.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google