CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
Ghost83

Hey Guys,

Just wanna introduce myself and thank all the members for their awesome knowledge and the willingness to share it with everyone . Iv have been reading a ton of great information from this forum and input from a lot of the members is great and appreciated.

I used to have a 65 gallon breeder cichlid tank (48x18x18) that i started converting over for the corn tank. I have done a lot of research and i think should be able to nail it down pretty good w/ no issues. I have opted to have a small 10 gallon starting out and then transferring the new acquisition over to the 65G when the appropriate time comes.

The 10G has an under tank heater w/ the inkbird thermostat that is set to 97 deg w/ 2 deg difference, probe is glued to the inside of glass which a carpet sits on and some aspen shaving to keep the area under the warm hide between 84 and 87 deg. The cool side ( i do live in windsor, ontario canada) s no igloo jokes ...lol...is 69 deg. under the carpet and aspen shaving throughout which top of substrate is at approx 70-71 constant as of not...we keep the house at about 23-24 throughout the year so its somewhat consitant...

I think that should be good w/ no UTH ? or should i get another one and place it under to bump it up to 75deg?

Humidity is in the 48-55% range. I have the LED lights on a timer to provide day light. I some fake plants to provide lots of hiding throughout the enclosure.

Now the big enclosure.

UTH w/ thermostats of course. Zoo med dual lamp deep dome lighting fixture on a stand w/ UVB lamp and debating on the basking light just to give it some extra warmth, nothing too crazy. 48" LED light for day lighting to go w/ the UVB on a timer. Substrate will be aspen shaving w/ carpet under.

Yes that is a thermal imaging camera...i work as a mechanic so have one around and when i saw everyone using the point and shoot infrared, just clicked in my head. Yes its an overkill but its nice to see what is going on.

Anyways i will post more picture as i develop and go.

Sorry for the novel, just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Old 10-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Ghost83
i have not gotten the little guy yet, fingers crossed this week....i believe the breeder said he is a little dull because he is starting the shed. But pretty tamed when he was handling it.

Old 10-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Shiari
My one change would be to your temps. You want to measure the temperatures at the point that your snake can get the *closest* to that UTH, so your probe for the digital probe thermometer should be directly on the glass over the area the UTH is attached to. *That* temperature should be 85 degrees. Corns love to burrow so your baby will get down there.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
Ghost83
Hey Shiari, i did move the aspen shavings in the area where the hide is and took the thermal image, just can't see it in the picture unfortunatly. the thermal catches the hot spots where the shavings have been before being moved. the probe is on the glass, then i have the carpet and then the shavings. the temp probe i have on the cool side is at 70 at the bottom on the glass and then i have carpet and shavings on top, no heat mat on the cool side, only on the warm side.

the big tank is not being used just yet.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google