CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

worried ...2nd regurge

Old 07-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
wrensong
worried ...2nd regurge

Hi...I really dont post much here because Tallulah has always been healthy...being 18 years old and no problems ever...I fed her last month and she regurgitated the mouse ( i think it was a little too big)...so i left her alone for 2 weeks then fed her a small mouse...she digested it fine. This last weekend I fed her another small one and she regurgitated it the next day. She has her heated mat and I also have an over head light she likes to bathe in...Im going to leave her be again and try in a couple of weeks. How many regurges are too many? The mouse i gave her is probably only an inch and a half. In the middle of all of this she had a very bad shed, which shes never had either. Thank you for the help !

Old 07-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
More than two regurges (in a row) are very concerning. Give her at least two weeks with no food so her gut flora can regrow, then offer her a much smaller meal, like a hopper. If you want to order some nutribac that can help too. Just dip the mouse in it before feeding.

All that being said, she is 18, a pretty old age for a corn snake, so there might be something age-related going wrong inside her. A reptile vet might be able to give you some more insight.

Old 07-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #3
wrensong
Thank you...She had one meal in between that digested ...poor baby...i will get a hopper and nutribac...ill let her rest for 2 weeks and try again. I adopted her from my son oh...11 years ago...and i was afraid of her at first !! yes,shes old, but a love bug ( lol) and i hope shell be ok..ill keep you posted.ty

Old 07-13-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
Shiari
I second taking the snake to a vet. She is elderly, things start to go wrong when bodies get really old.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #5
wrensong
haha..i know !...i have a vet appointment today because she regurged again..3rd time...but she very vigorously wants to eat !...i want to think it has something to do with her egg laying this year...she was fine before she laid them.. maybe something is stuck in there. shes also had some noisy gas coming out of that little body...so something gastro might be going on...idk...shes going this afternoon and i hope all will be well.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
Hopefully the vet can give you some insight.

Old 07-27-2021, 11:25 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrensong View Post
Hi...I really dont post much here because Tallulah has always been healthy...being 18 years old and no problems ever...I fed her last month and she regurgitated the mouse ( i think it was a little too big)...so i left her alone for 2 weeks then fed her a small mouse...she digested it fine. This last weekend I fed her another small one and she regurgitated it the next day. She has her heated mat and I also have an over head light she likes to bathe in...Im going to leave her be again and try in a couple of weeks. How many regurges are too many? The mouse i gave her is probably only an inch and a half. In the middle of all of this she had a very bad shed, which shes never had either. Thank you for the help !
Do you have a thermostat for any/all of the heat sources?

Was she in shed when you fed her?

Old 07-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #8
wrensong
Hi...yes I have thermostat connected to the heat mat...thermometer on heat mat...thermometer on top of aspen bedding...her heat is good. I took her to the vet the day before yesterday and im still waiting on the radiologist to call me , but..! she did a huge poop in the office and the stool was hard and she had crystals in the urine...so the vet seems to think that was the problem ! im soaking her this week and will try to feed her a small mouse sunday. she wants to eat..the vet said she looks very healthy and strong for her age..so hoping the xrays are ok..and i think they will be because the problem started after she laid eggs ..so maybe it was just the poop blockage

Old 07-28-2021, 09:31 AM   #9
wrensong
her stool sample came back negative for parasites too so thats good

Old 07-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #10
wrensong
The vet said the crystals were secondary to dehydration so thats why he wants me do a few soaks this week. so hopefully there are no growths on the xray...just waiting on that

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google