CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Corn snake not growing

Old 10-14-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
SecretiveFish
Corn snake not growing

Hello! I purchased a corn snake last year, and after having some difficulty getting her to eat, she is pretty good about eating what is offered except when in blue. Earlier this year I started feeding her every 5 days instead of weekly because she was just not growing and only 11g. It is now October and she has only gained 5 grams for a weight of 16g. She is still on small pinkies due to her tiny size and is maybe 18 inches long. She was also sold as a sulfur stripe corn snake which I have been questioning if is accurate now.

I purchased another snake around the same time who is easily 4x her weight and much longer.

She is active and interested in her surroundings although needs very high humidity to successfully complete a shed without help. Her body condition looks good to me, just so small for an over a yearling corn snake. Should I be worried? I am not sure what else I can/should do.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Hi there! She does not look to be a sulfur, but actually a butter motley. At 16 grams, she could definitely be eating either a large pinkie every 5 days, or 2 small pinkies, or even a peach fuzzie (not a regular fuzzie just yet). They grow pretty slowly on pinkies, especially if the schedule is longer than 5 days. She may also just be a slow grower. I think you will see a little growth spurt once you move up her feeder size, though.

Old 10-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #3
blacktip
I would concur with bumping her up to two pinkies every 5 days. At that size, one small pinky will not offer much for growth. She's pretty and I would also agree with a butter motley. She seems to already display a lot of yellow so she should grow up to be a stunner.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
SecretiveFish
Thank you for the reply! Right now the larger pinkies I have are greater than 2x her width but as soon as I can I will switch her! She will continue to be fed every 5 days.

I realized a bit ago that she was not a stripe and probably not sulfur. Do you think she is a pinstripe motley or maybe motley-stipe? I got got, I guess... At least she is actually pet temperament and pretty which is what I was also looking for anyway. One of the baby corn snakes I purchased last year was not pet temperament (unlike what the breeder told me) and had no qualms about striking/biting me. He found a new home this year as I couldn't handle it. It sucks getting taken advantage.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
SecretiveFish
I can't seem to edit, but I can definitely try two small pinkies until she can get one of the larger pinkies I have down!

Old 10-15-2021, 01:22 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
Yes, she is a pinstripe motley. Genetically, she could be het motley and het stripe, or she could simply be homozygous motley - the visual presentation of the pinstripe doesn't actually tell you specifically which combo of genes she's carrying (motley/stripe or motley/motley).

Old 10-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #7
SecretiveFish
Thank you! I really appreciate the help!

Old 10-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
You're welcome!

Old 10-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #9
Rich Z
If you can find a source of rat pinks, try them. They will help bulk up a young snake pretty well.

Old 10-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #10
SecretiveFish
Last feeding I offered her a large pinkie which she had no problem getting down. I imagine she will start growing faster now!

I wish I had asked for help sooner... Thank you all for helping me!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google