CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

can't wait for my baby

Old 11-16-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
snakegrrl
Question can't wait for my baby

Hello all,

I am new to this site and I am going to buy a baby corn hopefully within the week . I can't wait, but since this is the first time I will be owning a snake I am worried about doing everything right. I know the basic stuff, like how big the tank should be and everything, and I am getting the snakes from a wonderful reptiles-only store that breeds gorgeous snakes. However, I am sure there are many things that you learn while having a snake you don't hear about before. If you have any hints and tips that aren't the general instructions it would help - I really want to have a great, docile snake adult in a few years.

Some questions I haven't had answered :

How often can I handle my snake?
How long should I wait until after feeding to handle my snake?
When do I switch from pinkies to fuzzies, from fuzzies to hoppers?
I have heard so many opinions on heating - any info?
How should I care for a shedding snake?
How often should I clean the cage?
Is there any way I can spoil my snake?

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I am looking at many albino snakes because I really like the coloring. I will try and get a photo up as soon as I get my baby, anybody with suggestions for names please write. Thanx for all ur help ahead of time.

Old 11-16-2003, 06:16 PM   #2
drizzt_19
Welcome to the addictive hobby of cornsnakes

I'll try to answer your questions...

Q 1.How often can I handle my snake?

A 1.You can handle your snake as often or as little as you would like...It all depends on the personality of your snake...

Q 2.How long should I wait until after feeding to handle my snake?

A 2.On the average it is best to give at least 24 hrs before handling after a feed...Some will say 48 hrs but again it is up to the snakes personality...I have a few corns that if they are handled within 24 hrs they regurge, then again I have some that have no problems with handling immediatley after feeding

Q 3.When do I switch from pinkies to fuzzies, from fuzzies to hoppers?

A 3.I judge when to switch up a size by the bulge in the snakes tummy...If there is no bulge after 36-48 hrs then on the next feeding I will increase the size of the prey item to 1.5-2 times the girth of the snake...

Q 4.I have heard so many opinions on heating - any info?

A 4.If you need heat I would strongly recommmend a heat pad or heat tape attached to a rheostat or thermometer..This allows temps to be maintained relativly constant and decreases the risk of burns associated with light and rocks...

Q 5.How should I care for a shedding snake?

A 5.When you notice your snake is getting ready to shed, just increase the humidty or place a moist hide in the tank with them, and make sure they have something to rub against...

Q 6.How often should I clean the cage?

A 6.The cage should be spot cleaned after every defacation,once a month you should clean the vivarium out with a 1 part bleach 10 parts water solution...

Q 7.Is there any way I can spoil my snake?

A 7.This is a tricky question, but I'll give it a go...I don't think it is possible for snake to be spoiled as they do not have emotions like us humans...

This is just a quick summary but should answer your questions, if not then please post some more questions...This is not advice from an expert just my own personal experince with corns and thier ways in captivity

HTH,

Old 11-17-2003, 09:14 AM   #3
Ice9
Its always nice to see someone finding out all they can BEFORE they get the snake Good luck with the baby and I hope you enjoy it

The only thing I can think of other than drizzt_19s list is to make sure your new snake has been feeding well before you buy it and to ask when it last fed. Also check for general health problems which are covered in many posts on this forum by people far more qualified than myself.

Also it can be useful to keep a record of what he eats and when , when he sheds etc. If he does ever need the vet this will come in very handy.

cheers

Old 11-17-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
Wannabevet83
I am a new corn snake owner myself...I really have fallen in love with my little guy

Good luck with your baby!

Ginny

Old 11-17-2003, 12:30 PM   #5
Neumann
The only thing I would add is to follow the rule that prey items should be 1-1.5 times the widest girth of your snake and not 1.5-2 times. Too large of a meal is can cause regurgitation so it's better to feed your snake smaller prey more frequently than to feed prey items that are on the large side.

Cheers,
Jason

Old 11-17-2003, 01:12 PM   #6
bluetattoo
Hi Rose,

I'll leave all the advice to the big guns as I'm still fairly new to all this myself. Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the site. It's proved to be an invaluable resource for me, and hope it will for you too.

Good luck with your snake........Let us know what you get and how you get on.

Cheers

Blue

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google