CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Re-pairing before second clutch?

Old 07-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
SnakeSmithS
Re-pairing before second clutch?

Does anyone out there typically re-pair their females before the second clutch?

Because corns can hold sperm for months (if not years), I have never bothered to re-pair my snakes after the first clutch of the season has been laid. When my females have had second clutches, those clutches have consistently been slightly smaller in number of eggs and slightly higher in proportion of slugs, and I have always just assumed this was typical. This year however, I have had 3 females lay second clutches that were nearly all slugs. I have a small collection which allows me to really focus on good husbandry practices, and have not changed anything this year. Perhaps it is just a coincidence but it got me wondering if other folks out there re-pair their females before the second clutch is laid, if so when you do that (maybe right after the post-lay shed?), and if that practice seems to increase the number fertile eggs that result. Thanks in advance for sharing. Neil.

Old 11-23-2021, 11:48 AM   #2
basilalhababi
i do re pair them after post lay shed and get very good success with high fertility and almost the same number of eggs of first clutch

Old 12-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #3
MysticExotics
I will with one female here that I produced, who is now owned by a friend of mine, but is here on long term breeding load.
She double clutches every year, despite not re-pairing her, so I will re-pair her with the male to increase fertility.
I do not try to double clutch any females that do not bounce back quickly after laying eggs, as well as first time breeders.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
SnakeSmithS
Thanks for your response. I'm glad you made that point about not trying for second clutches with females that are not in the proper condition so that others potentially reading this thread will consider the potential risk involved anytime a female produces eggs. I agree 100% that only females that have almost immediately regained a healthy (pre-lay) weight after laying their first clutch should be considered for laying a second clutch. Of course, sometimes females will lay a second clutch whether you want them to or not

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google