CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

New Snake owner soon

Old 03-10-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
herno1
New Snake owner soon

Hi, i'm a soon to be corn snake owner and trying to get everything settle, before i get her/him. i just bought a 40 gallon breeder tank with the screen top. Now here is my 2 questions.
1 _ substrate... i want to get something cheap, and easy to clean. i was going to get Aspen but i'm hearing bad things about it. if i get cypress mulch, will a baby corn still be able to burrow on it ? or what substrate would you recommend ?
question 2 _ UTH ... I have a 10/20 UTH with a thermostat, will that be ok or it's not going to be enough ?
thanks in advance !!!

Old 03-10-2022, 11:40 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Aspen works great. And corns do love to burrow in it, especially when they're babies. Other types of substrate can work as well, but I only use aspen for my corns.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:42 PM   #3
Caryl
Hi herno1 and welcome! I'm not sure what you've heard about aspen but it's a fine, safe substrate material. Like @hypnoctopus , I keep all of mine on aspen for their whole life after about their first month of life. (Initially want to be sure babies are eating, drinking and processing correctly so they're on paper towels.) You can find aspen in very fine shavings which are great for youngsters as well as in larger shavings which are better for bigger snakes.

If you get a young snake, it would actually be better to keep it in something smaller than a 40 gal at first. It's much easier to ensure that the snake feels secure and is feeding well if they're in a smaller space. I would wait until it's eaten at least 3 meals for you before putting it into the big tank.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk

Old 03-12-2022, 11:09 PM   #4
MysticExotics
Welcome! I keep mine on aspen as well. Some people use bioactive setups.
Do what works well for you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google