CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature Area Line Limit

Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #1
Billybobob
Signature Area Line Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z
Please restrict the text in your signature areas to NO MORE than 4 lines (and BLANK lines embedded in your signature DO count as a line!). I am seeing much of the display screen being taken up with signature area text rather than the actual messages posted and it's getting a little carried away.

Also please note that graphics within the signature area are very distracting and take up space that is better used for actual message content. As such they are not to be used here. Graphics ARE allowed as avatars, but even then, I am requesting that people use static images ONLY and no animation. Animation looks cute for the first 10 minutes, then you are ready to strangle someone.

Please comply with this request as soon as possible, otherwise I will be forced to delete the signature areas myself of any people ignoring this notice.

Thanks.
Dose this apply to contributing members. I would think so but maybe I am wrong.

I am only bringing this up because I sent a pm to a contributing member who has 10 lines in there signature area regarding this. I received a reply from the person in question saying thanks and thought they would correct the problem. I informed this person about this 2 weeks ago and this person has yet to change it.

I would think that most contributing members would honnor something Rich has asked of all of us.

If contributing members are allowed to have more lines of text, let me say sorry to the person in question and for posting this.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
BeckyG
I've noticed that there are a growing number of members, both contributors and non-contributors who are exceeding the four line signature limit Rich has asked us to comply with. I wonder what in the world makes some people think the rules don't apply to them?

I don't know all that much about computers, but is there any way to limit signatures to a certain number of characters? I mean the kind where when you reach your character limit, it cuts you off.

If people keep abusing Rich's generosity, I'm afraid he may do away with signature areas altogether.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
Billybobob
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyG
I've noticed that there are a growing number of members, both contributors and non-contributors who are exceeding the four line signature limit Rich has asked us to comply with. I wonder what in the world makes some people think the rules don't apply to them?
I do undersand that it happens on both sides and I was not trying to say that its only contibuting members breaking this rule. But every non-contibutor I have told about the signature line limit has changed their signature area to comply with what Rich has asked almost imideatly. But this one contibuting member with 10 lines in there signature area still has not changed theirs.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
Tula_Montage
I was pm'd about this a LONG time ago, and changed it immediatley... It kind of miffs me off that people think rules only apply to some people and not them...

Old 08-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Rich Z
Generally when I see someone has not complied with my request, I will contact them about the problem so they can correct it themselves. If this request is ignored, I then DELETE their entire signature myself.

No, Contributors are not exempt from this restriction.

If it continues to be abused and starts causing me too much grief, I can simply eliminate the signature areas completely to end that particular problem.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
gwb8568
There you go..................

got your PM billlybobob with the link to this thread. thank you very much for watching out for some of us members that never get this far down the main page. will try to pay a little more attention instead of looking at pics/asking questions and trying to contribute with a yearly membership.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Taceas
BBB, the last time I checked the forum had no moderators or hall monitors. So what's your beef with people getting lax in how THEY conduct themselves? If Rich finds personal fault in it, he'll make them change it. Until then, stop being sheriff.

Now granted, I've sent a couple of polite PM's myself to remind people who are grossly breaking the rule. They thanked me for pointing out a rule that they haven't seen or heard about and changed their signature areas. Most were new people who apparently still had the excitedness over joining a forum where they can feel free to go crazy in their love of cornsnakes. That was their only mistake.

But I would never go so far as to say that some people who donate to this site think they're above the rule. I don't think I've seen any Contributor breaking this rule so grossly that it needs to be pointed out. Then again, that comment could be seen as a bias.

To be honest, no one seems to pay attention to the stickies at the tops of the forums, myself included. They're there day after day and you get used to them, taking that for granted you can miss something new that may be posted. They don't pop out at you enough to make you take notice.

Some of the rules/guidelines are scattered all over the forum, so sometimes I can't find fault in new people tripping up now and then. Even I have had to dig to get information a time or two. Maybe a section for Rules and Regulations pertaining to the site should be created up under the New Member section so there is no question of "not seeing it". Most new people I've noticed don't ever read far down enough to realize the same question they asked was asked yesterday, let alone reading all the way down to see the rules. Just a suggestion.

Personally, I don't mind some signatures being lengthy, some people could write quite a novel about themselves down there. It helps to break up the giant blank space that's created from shorter messages because the person has all the stuff on the left-hand side (name, avatar, green dots, medallion, etc etc). I don't mind small thumbnail pictures either, so long as they're not animated. The only thing that bugs me is people listing the name, species, age, color for all of their 34 animals...just say you have a zoo and be done with it.

Contibutors are not above the rules, although to most on the outside (non-contributors) it seems to be that way as many times as its brought up. But I can say we don't get any special priveledges aside from our own section to post and read. The only neat thing we have is the ability to edit our posts, as Rich feels those who put the money where their mouth is are more honest about such things...and I'd have to say its a pretty good separating tool so far. But I for one am sick of hearing about how we're more speshul 'n stuff, when it clearly isn't so.

Just my $25.00/yr.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:43 PM   #8
Billybobob
Taceas, I am not trying to be a "hall monitor". But I do like the signature area and I have seen things taken away because of miss use. Like the ability to edit and delete post, these where originally taken away because of one members abuse of it. I know that contributers can still do this, but I also know the resone it was originally taken away. I would hate to loose the signature area because some people are ignorant to the fact that Rich has asked that they are kept at 4 lines including blank lines.

I had pm the original person I was talking about because that person had 10 lines of text that was hot pink in color and it annoyed me. When they did not change it I thought that maybe the contributing members might have been allowed to have more so I posted this question.

This was not meant to say that contributing members think they are above the rules.

I personally don't think that contributing members get special treatment, and they do deserve the few extras that they get. But I said nothing about this so I have know idea where you got the idea that thats what I meant.

But since you brought it up I will say that some contributing members are a little snobby about the fact that they are contributing members and can be down right rude to non-contributers when the non-contributers inform them about the rules of this forum. This opinion is from personal experience. And can be seen in this thread (gbw not you). Before I get jumped on for this I said SOME not all.

By the way your signature is over the limit.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
DaemoNox
Sorry everyone my signature was too long, it was ment to be changed after the first 'warning' but I guess it slipped my mind; I had more important things to concern myself with at the time, and if it was that much of a problem Rich would of taken care of it.

Do not blame it on the contributor status nor that contributers think they get special treatment; I have not seen one differnce between the attutude of contributors and non contributors (if some are snobby they would be so even without the medallian on the side). Once again I am sorry to everyone I may have disturbed or visually annoyed due to a signature that was a little long, instead of leaving that area empty, and forgetting about it soon after because it wasnt my top priorty.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
Serpwidgets
I don't need a medallion to know that I'm better than you...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google