CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Quirky Corn Snake

Old 07-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #1
curlyfry
Quirky Corn Snake

Hi!

I've purchased a corn snake (tentatively Curly Fry), currently being held at the store, that is a... very interesting male albino, about a year old. When being handled, they seem to prefer the least efficient method of getting places, and frequently curl around in loops and knots rather than move in a particular direction.

The store has assured me that there's nothing particularly wrong with this, and that it has not had problems with food or water, as well as it normally moving pretty well on the ground--it's when its head lacks direct support that it curls a lot.

Do any of you know what could be causing this? The only thing I know of that matches is IBD, which would suck, but that also is only officially documented in boids. I just want to make sure I'm not being handed a snake with a debilitating health issue...

Old 07-18-2021, 11:27 PM   #2
Rich Z
Well, just from your description I would walk away from that deal, and not look back. Get your money back, PRONTO!

Old 07-18-2021, 11:30 PM   #3
curlyfry
I guess I should change my question. If this is just a thing that this snake does, that's one thing--I want to know if anyone knows a specific condition that this would be a sign of that causes distress or pain to the snake.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:13 AM   #4
Shiari
The symptoms are basically stargazing. There's 4 main causes: Severe overheating, toxin exposure, disease, or genetic stargazing - a heritable vestibular syndrome specific to corn snakes.
For the store to say there's nothing *wrong* with it doing this is not just a red flag but an entire choreographed colorguard routine.

Old 07-19-2021, 12:40 AM   #5
hypnoctopus
I agree, your description sounds exactly like stargazing. I would not support that store.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google