CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Led light tape questions

Old 08-30-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Jcorny
Led light tape questions

Ok so I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but I have some lighting questions.

I am currently in the process of building a custom double Viv from an entertainment center. I was looking to install some led light tape in each enclosure and running them. Now my question is simple but I have yet to find any good info. Is there a setup out there that runs different colors so I can simulate day and night, plus have them switch colors on there own?

Joined the forum a few weeks ago, and got some great feedback in the new member section. Hopefully I am able to receive the same great advice on this light situation.

Thanks in advance,
Jesse

Old 08-31-2016, 06:03 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
you can always put lights on a timer, 12 hours on (daylight), 12 hours off (night)

Old 08-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
Jcorny
Thanks, but I would really like to run a red or moonlight color at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
DollysMom
This is the most advanced LED tape that I know of:

http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...-led-with-rgb/

It will not automatically go into day and night mode. Also, any tape adhesive needs to be kept away from the snake. I'd create some kind of a diffuser I could affix securely over it using screws or something like that.

This is not a tape strip, but this light is fully automated.

http://www.finnex.net/index.php/plan..._store=default

I have one on my aquarium. I have it on a timer that comes on at 6 am and goes off at 9 pm because I think it is still too bright at night and I think they deserve dark at night. This would be even more important for a snake. It certainly could be adapted to your build, but be sure there is ventilation so heat won't build up.

Current also has a fully programmable light, but it is quite a bit more expensive. If you look around that site you should find it.

New lights come on the market all the time so check out the planted tank fish forums. I'd stay with freshwater lights rather than marine lights.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
Nanci
Phillips Hue makes pretty cool LED lighting strips. You can set the color to anything you want. You can use IFTTT to have it be a certain color at a certain time of day, or to coordinate with sunrise and sunset. I have the regular bulbs all over my house; they are amazing. Their website is NOT amazing. But there's a pretty good subreddit about it, if you do Reddit.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
DollysMom
I did a little more googling and something like this may be your solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmable...25.m3641.l6368

Old 08-31-2016, 02:23 PM   #7
Jcorny
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I did a little more googling and something like this may be your solution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmable...25.m3641.l6368

I had seen these before and was unsure if they could control the color output along with the timer.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcorny View Post
I had seen these before and was unsure if they could control the color output along with the timer.

From what I can tell they can. I can solder and have built electronic kits, but I'm no expert, so take my opinion for what it's worth. There's a reason I went with a prebuilt solution, lol.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #9
Jcorny
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
From what I can tell they can. I can solder and have built electronic kits, but I'm no expert, so take my opinion for what it's worth. There's a reason I went with a prebuilt solution, lol.

Very understandable. I am in no rush for the lighting and can always install it later down the road. I will update this post after I find a solution, and install the lights. Hopefully with some quality pictures of my success

Old 09-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcorny View Post
Very understandable. I am in no rush for the lighting and can always install it later down the road. I will update this post after I find a solution, and install the lights. Hopefully with some quality pictures of my success

Looking forward to it. We can all learn from builds like this

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google