CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Tall tank, brumation

Old 12-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
Guy123
Tall tank, brumation

Hi,

I've kept garters for years but am looking to get a corn snake and a Mexican black kingsnake. I had a few questions I was hoping you could answer:

1/ I have an ExoTerra 36" long by 18" wide by 36" tall tank. Would a corn snake use that height if I put a shelf in there and climbing opportunities? Between a corn and a MBK, which would use that height the most? Or is shorter enclosure better?

2/ I'm looking to get an MBK yearling that is currently in brumation. Is it OK if I take it out of brumation? If so, how would you do that? (I have heard from the owner, but want to see what you think.)

Thank you.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Most corns will climb if given the opportunity. Babies, especially, love to climb and will often rest in a fake plant up high off the ground. Most of my adults climb as well, but they seem to prefer hiding on the ground. I haven't owned an MBK, so I can't say whether they'd be more climby than a corn or not, but I'd imagine that they're probably fairly similar?

You can take it out of brumation, although it would be best to do it slowly, increasing the temps a little over the course of a week or two and definitely not feeding right away.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:24 AM   #3
Guy123
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Most corns will climb if given the opportunity. Babies, especially, love to climb and will often rest in a fake plant up high off the ground. Most of my adults climb as well, but they seem to prefer hiding on the ground. I haven't owned an MBK, so I can't say whether they'd be more climby than a corn or not, but I'd imagine that they're probably fairly similar?

You can take it out of brumation, although it would be best to do it slowly, increasing the temps a little over the course of a week or two and definitely not feeding right away.
Thank you for the input! Appreciate it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google