CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Which Snakes Can Live together?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Ivorzz5
Which Snakes Can Live together?

I have a Baby Corn Snake and When I bought her she was in with another Creamsicle/Butter Corn snake. I which Snakes can Live together without causing any Problems.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Stormy
I can already tell you people will jump on this and say no snakes should be living together. Pet shops often keep small baby snakes in the same tank because they want to save space. Just remember that just because a pet shop does it, doesnt mean it is good practice.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
starsevol
Considering that snakes are solitary animals, I would have to say none...

Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
ZoologyGirl
These snakes are good to cohab in my belly:

But in all seriousness I'd have to agree with what the previous posts have said and say none.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
dickdeuel
Any of the rat snakes can be housed together, including corn snakes. At feeding time you have to be careful that they don't start feeding on the same mouse or rat. Separating to separate containers is an option.

Their cage should be large enough so they can find separate hides and avoid each other at times. At times they may be piled on top of each other. Their sex doesn't mean anything except you might end up with some unexpected eggs.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdeuel View Post
Any of the rat snakes can be housed together, including corn snakes. At feeding time you have to be careful that they don't start feeding on the same mouse or rat. Separating to separate containers is an option.

Their cage should be large enough so they can find separate hides and avoid each other at times. At times they may be piled on top of each other. Their sex doesn't mean anything except you might end up with some unexpected eggs.
Wrong...wrong...wrong...
Snakes are solitary animals by nature, coming together only to breed.
Forcing them to live together can cause issues with feeding, stress them out and shorten their lifespans.
If you house 2 males together, there is even more stress as breeding season approaches.
If you house a male and a female together, the male will constantly harass the female to mate, whether she is ready to or not. The female will be under constant stress and could die from eggbinding if bred too young.
I consider co habbing snakes to be animal cruelty myself.

Imagine that you are confined to a room with someone you absolutely hate. You are forced to be with this person 24/7, no way out for your whole life.
Do you think YOUR health might suffer?
And we humans are social creatures. It is 10 times worse for non social animals...

Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
SnakeAround
And there we go....

In the end people against co-habbing and people practicing it with no problems won't ever agree, can't we just skip the whole middle part and just get to the end

I think the best somehow in between advice is: newby's should better house apart, because they might miss signs of stress from co-habbing and have to learn how healthy snakes behave, so they can see when they are stressed or ill. Only when you know you animals and they are established, you might try co-habbing, watching carefully whether any participant stops eating or shows other signs of stress.

I think the vast amount of people co-habbing without problems, does say something about the problems it gives, whether anti-co-habbers like that or not. I do feel better co-habbing 2 adults in a 36 x 24 inch viv then separate them and house them in 24 x 16 tubs or drawers, like I see a lot if people have large collections. Of course, if they are thriving, some just don't like being co-habbed, so they won't be.

I'm very curious if anyone has ever done any attempt to 'scientifically' test if snakes thrive better when housed alone, compared to being co-habbed. So, not gut-feeling or simple reasoning why they should be housed alone, but plain testing. I bet nobody has so far. Until that time, I just look at how things are working out the way I House them. Calling this animal abuse might be just an opinion but I know people that would say keeping snakes in cages is animal abuse any way you do that, so.... don't go that way please.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
SnakeAround
By the way, I don't think snakes are able to hate other snakes, comparing co-habbing to being confined with someone you hate, does not seem really applicable to me.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutengel View Post
By the way, I don't think snakes are able to hate other snakes, comparing co-habbing to being confined with someone you hate, does not seem really applicable to me.
True, snakes don't hate...but they do tend to avoid others except to mate. Avoiding others is how they prefer to be, so to force them to be in close proximity would be like forcing 2 people together who would otherwise avoid each other at all costs...

Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
SnakeAround
My snakes don't avoid each other at all costs.... they seem to 'think' getting into the spot they like is more important then avoiding another snake. Except for breeding season, when I separate males if they shows stress, I have not ever witnessed any 'dispute' between snakes, how could that be if they 'compete' for spots they wanna be in?

I do think of course housing them separately in at least 5 x 5 feet long vivs would be the best thing to do, but we have to make choices: get less snakes, co-hab or decrease viv size, since most people just don't have a zoo to house their snakes in but still want to keep a certain amount.

I really think any snake keeper draws its own lines what is acceptable and what is not. We should respect that, as long as a keeper carefully watches his animals and never let them in a situation they are apparently don't thrive.

A couple of weeks ago at a fair I saw a table with 2 boxes containing way too skinny adult snakes, a corn and a black ratsnake, both labeled as rat snakes (the black rat was supposed to be a charcoal -pfff- ). Another box showed 2 lavender obsoleta's, being labeled as lavender corns. Those things concern me, since these people clearly don't know what they are doing at all concerning their snakes. They don't even think about what they are doing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
housing