CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first year breeding

Old 04-03-2022, 04:48 PM   #81
Rich Z
BTW, not clear on your procedure, but might be best to keep the eggs covered with damp material the entire time while incubating. They need to absorb moisture from the surroundings, so the more surface area provided with moisture to draw from, the better off for the developing eggs. Within reason, of course. Way too wet and the eggs drown.

Some people do get by having the humidity at nearly 100 percent in the container, but that normally means a sealed air tight container. I have heard arguments that this inhibits air exchange and can cause an excess of carbon dioxide and less oxygen content. Generally speaking, I tried to keep in mind what the females had to choose from in the wild for a nest and figured nature would know best for optimum conditions for egg incubation. Snakes just are not likely to find air tight containers to lay eggs in in the wild.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:37 PM   #82
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
BTW, not clear on your procedure, but might be best to keep the eggs covered with damp material the entire time while incubating. They need to absorb moisture from the surroundings, so the more surface area provided with moisture to draw from, the better off for the developing eggs. Within reason, of course. Way too wet and the eggs drown.

Some people do get by having the humidity at nearly 100 percent in the container, but that normally means a sealed air tight container. I have heard arguments that this inhibits air exchange and can cause an excess of carbon dioxide and less oxygen content. Generally speaking, I tried to keep in mind what the females had to choose from in the wild for a nest and figured nature would know best for optimum conditions for egg incubation. Snakes just are not likely to find air tight containers to lay eggs in in the wild.
My container is sort of airtight, I don't have any air holes, but it's just a snap on lid so it's not 100% airtight. I'm going this method because I have a problem with fruit flies (actually im not sure if they're fruit flies, I just know every few weeks there everywhere and I have to get the traps out lol).

I do have 100% humidity pretty much all the time in there (now and back in testing) so I figured having the moss on top was overdoing it, once the eggs plumped back up.

Name:  IMG_4363.PNG
Views: 152
Size:  291.5 KB

Old 04-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #83
inu009
When I checked the eggs yesterday there was no smell? So maybe it was the moss. lol

Old 04-06-2022, 04:09 PM   #84
Caryl
Things are looking very good! I love Bean's "I'm a Mom!" mug for water. That's a very nice touch.

The eggs are looking good. Sounds like everything is on track. I think you may have smelling your moss. I use sphagnum moss for mine, and damp moss does have a mild scent if one has a sensitive nose. It should not be an unpleasant or musty smell, but there isn't anything wrong with smelling like moss, lol. It's great to pay attention to odors. (Eventually you'll find that there's a particular scent when the eggs are very close to hatching.)

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 04-09-2022, 08:57 PM   #85
inu009
I candled the eggs tonight, since they're all stuck together, I couldn't check everyone, but I got some good shots.

Name:  IMG_4405.jpeg
Views: 146
Size:  52.3 KB

I didn't expect the vein network to be so strong already. Every egg I was able to check had some really nice veins! Also, don't worry, it's a led flashlight, it doesn't radiate any heat.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:32 PM   #86
Caryl
That's excellent! I never get tirdd of good news. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-09-2022, 10:21 PM   #87
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
That's excellent! I never get tirdd of good news. Thanks for sharing.

Yep, so far, so good

Old 04-09-2022, 10:54 PM   #88
Caryl
I'm expecting the first clutch of the year sometime in the coming week. Hopefully Tulip will proceed as smoothly as Bean. (Although I'm gonna faint if she lays 28 eggs!)

Old 04-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #89
inu009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
I'm expecting the first clutch of the year sometime in the coming week. Hopefully Tulip will proceed as smoothly as Bean. (Although I'm gonna faint if she lays 28 eggs!)

Hopefully it does go smooth for you!

Old 04-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #90
Caryl
Thanks! Tulip can usually be relied upon to take care of business without drama. Since I posted that comment, Esperanza had her pre-lay shed last night as well. It's been a few years since I last bred her. She hasn't ever had trouble, no reason to think she will this time either, but I'll be happy when those eggs are safely laid.

This waiting part is HARD!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google